Introduction - and final setup opinions/help (Reef)

ryanr157

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day R2R community,
Whilst I'm not new to fish-keeping (currently running a 2ft/17G FW Planted), I am new to SW, and now the confusion is setting in.

I have been heavily researching for months, and am almost certain on the setup, but the lighting and stocking has got me stumped.

The hardware plan: (yet to be bought/ordered)
Custom 36"L x 18"W x 26"H with Starfire front, filled to to 24", giving 66G with a 1-2" sand substrate (not LS) with approx 1.25lbs per gallon of LR
Custom 24" x 14" x 13" Sump, giving 19G total (only using 5.2G Intake, 6.3G Return, 4.1G Fuge with DSB[4"])

Sump Return Eheim Compact + 2000 @ 317GPH
Skimmer Octopus Vortex 800L @ 528GPH
Power Head 2 x Tunze Turbelle® nanostream 6055 @264GPH each
Heaters Eheim Jager 100 x 2

Total Minimum turnover ~1400GPH, max turnover 20000GPH (if all pumps are cranked to max)

I will have ATO, but will figure that out when I get a feel for evaporation.
RO/DI - I will be using RODI water - not sure if I'll be my own filter, or buy from LFS
Salt Mix - most likely will be IO Reef Crystals

I have done all the maths on overflows etc, and that'll all work fine.

My next step is trying to decide on a light fitting (hoping to go LED), which of course requires me to decide on livestock.

My end goal plan is to have:
Hard Corals - candy cane & frogspawn appeal
Soft Corals - Pulsing Xenia, Ricordia and Zoanthids all appeal
Anemones - BTA? (I know that not all anemones will play nice with coral)
CUC - shrimp, sea cucumber, snails? (I think hermits are out, most advice tends toward them not being nice with corals)
Fish - here's the hard bit, they have to be reef friendly, and play nice together. So far I'm leaning toward:
Pair of clowns (gotta have Nemo for the nephews),
Pyjamma or Banggai Cardinal [or both?]
Wrasse (6 line or White Belly)
Yellow Tang (would love others, but tank will be too small)

So based on this, I'm considering LED, and InWatter - High Brightness Aquarium LED Lighting for Marine, Coral Reef and Planted Aquarium seem to be just what I'm after. I'd have to go with the 2ft fixture, because the 3ft won't fit in the custom hood - I'm happy to have a few darker spots in the tank.

Would value thoughts from this community.

Thanks for taking the time to read. And again, I'm still planning, and no equipment has been purchased (so no mistakes yet! :D)

Ryan.

Am I getting a bit ambitious?

Last edited:

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R!!

I can't offer any advice on the LEDs because I am unfamiliar with those fixtures (may not be currently available in the US). The equipment list looks like a good combination from reputable companies, so I don't see any problems there. However, based on the corals you intend to keep you can probably get away with a cheaper lighting option if cost is a factor, but it's always good to have the more intense lighting in case you decide to keep SPS corals in the future. The stock list also looks good, but the Tang would have to be purchased small and will quickly outgrow the tank. Tangs prefer a lot of swimming room, so a 3 foot tank will limit you. Another thing to note is that 6-line wrasses tend to be quite aggressive once they are established within a tank, so you should probably add him last.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, glad to see you doing your research. I also cannot comment on the LEDs, as I know nothing about them. The equipment list looks good, and the stocking list looks like a good starting point. As was already pointed out the tang will quickly out grow the tank. Also be aware that both the clowns and the six-line may become very aggressive as they get larger, and you may end up with some compatibility issues down the road. The xenia, I would definitely isolate to a single rock that stands alone out on the sandbed, as it can quickly take over and become a nuscience coral. Best of luck with your new set-up and keep us posted.

OP
OP
R

ryanr157

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the feedback.

I contacted InWatter (Stingray), and their only concern on the 2ft would be darker areas in the tank. I'm not too worried about that, a natural reef must surely have darker spots occassionally.

And ultimately, if the 2ft fixture is inadequate coverage, I can probably add another fitting to the hood in 8-12mths when I consider the corals. I guess only time will tell if the fitting is not adequate. Does anyone disagree with this approach?

As for stocking, it's still not decided, and assuming I can get hold of them, I think I'll probably settle for (in order of addition to tank)

CUC - Sea cucumber, 6 x Nassa Snails, 1 x Peppermint and 1 x Skunk Cleaner

1 Purple Firefish (2 if I can find a mated pair) [substitute for Tang in original plan]
1 Pyjamma Cardinal
1 Bangaii Cardinal
2 Clowns (prob Osc) [mated pair only]
1 Wrasse (prob White Belly if I can get, otherwise 6 line)

Soft Corals (8mths after starting): Ricordia and Zoanthids
Hard Corals (12mths after starting): Frogspawn & Candy-cane

BTA - last

I think that's the plan. Thoughts?

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and advice.

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Mate!! to R2R, I noticed you live in Kangaroo country! cool. as far as advice , I am a newbie at SW tank, up n running for 9 weeks now. No help here from me, but the R2R community is THE PLACE to be a member. The folks here are friendly and will give you expert advice. I have had several SLOW me down so I do not WRECK what i have already accomplished. Just thought i would welcome you and wish you luck.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back