Invert Compatability

Lojenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand fish compatibility charts are a simple guideline LFS do not frequently use. Is there a current compatibility chart for inverts only? I was recently disappointed after purchasing Feather Dusters for a macro algae tank, only to watch them devoured within seconds by peppermint shrimp. My imaged chart would include types of snails, crab varieties, shrimp, copepods, sea stars, urchins etc. vs. non mobile inverts ( or extremely slow moving) like clams, feather dusters, mollusk, sea cucumbers etc. Chart would include a number of specified inverts according to tank size with appropriate parameter. To also include specific established traits and eating habits. Fairly sure armed with this information one would/could make wiser purchases and thriving aquariums. LMK Thx.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware of any chart like this at the moment, and it would likely be incredibly to make one, as it would need to absolutely huge to include a good number of species kept in aquaria.

Honestly, I'd think the best way to deal with this sort of thing at the moment would be by doing a list of "Reef Safe" (i.e. completely safe for other tank inhabitants), "Reef Safe With Caution" (i.e. it may or may not go after certain specific things like worms, shrimp, coral, etc. - specified for each creature with the label), and "Not Reef Safe" (i.e. will go after a wide range of things) inverts, which is sort of already done (though definitely not to the same degree this is done with fish at the moment).

For example, the following creatures could be listed this way:
-Porcelain Crab: Reef Safe
-Moon Snails: Reef Safe With Caution (will eat other snails)
-Mantis Shrimp: Not Reef Safe

OP
OP
Lojenn

Lojenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great response. I'll happily wait for your study, scientific research, published papers concerning this. (LOL) Like you, agree the research would be massive, tho it seems it could be scaled down to LFS level.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compatibility charts vary heavily, if one did exist it would be a huge mistake to take it as gospel rather than checking how others experiences went, you'd be researching anyways.

Hypothetically most inverts can kill each other or stress each other out in some conditions. Mantis Shrimp don't eat urchins, mine just killed it for standing in one spot funny. Crabs will change how they feel about each other inbetween molts, tank size, quantity, etc. I have a softball sized box crab with my puny spotted anemone shrimp and somehow those two have been together in harmony(?) for awhile but a chocolate chip starfish killed one of my mantis shrimp, what some might call an apex, over night.

OP
OP
Lojenn

Lojenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compatibility charts vary heavily, if one did exist it would be a huge mistake to take it as gospel rather than checking how others experiences went, you'd be researching anyways.

Hypothetically most inverts can kill each other or stress each other out in some conditions. Mantis Shrimp don't eat urchins, mine just killed it for standing in one spot funny. Crabs will change how they feel about each other inbetween molts, tank size, quantity, etc. I have a softball sized box crab with my puny spotted anemone shrimp and somehow those two have been together in harmony(?) for awhile but a chocolate chip starfish killed one of my mantis shrimp, what some might call an apex, over night.
Agree a compatibility chart would be a daunting task and unachievable in most lifetimes. Agree also it would mostly depend on experience, cost, experiments and theory. I've seen several articles on symbiotic relationships with fish to invert/ inverts to inverts, that should NOT work but do in nature. I'll have to put this idea on the back shelf until someone creates a more in depth, advanced look. Thx for your reply.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back