invert list for 5 gallon frag tank

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Getting pretty close to setting up my 5 gallon "frag" tank. I initially had bigger plans (bigger tank), and was planning on keeping a sapphire damsel (Chrysiptera cf. springeri), as I am told they can eat pests, however, in a tank this small I think fish (at least the "working" type) are out.

What are my options for interesting inverts that would also "pull their weight" and keep my frags as algae and pest free as possible???

I think I will get a few blue leg hermits and astrea snails, hard to go wrong there, but not sure what else.

Last edited:

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna do most helpful or least help full but still nice to have

1 most types of hermit crabs there do good cleaning
2 Nassurius snails the mix the sand around causing less waste collecting. The surface
3 Mexican turbo snails there great but my die if flipped over
4 skunk cleaners there lower cause if price almost 50 dollars for one
5peppermint shrimp they it pest Anemones and aptisa
6 emrald crabs there pretty but mostly focus of bubble algae

Also there probably One fish that can live there is freshwater mollys there great cleaners and come in many colors, you just need to acclimate slowly like a 5 to 10 hour acclimation period.
8C91FA78-B1DF-4558-A714-9AB6BBC7F068.jpeg

xarkaden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon reef with almost all on that list except emerald and skunks, It’s a great combo. As far as fish, I would be cautious of anything except a perching type of fish that stays under 3 inches maybe some sort of dwarf Gobie or angler.

I keep blue legs, scarlet legs of small size, nassarius snails, turbos, and peppermint shrimp. They all work great together but if you don’t have your frags secure, expect the hermits to knock them every which way daily.

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon reef with almost all on that list except emerald and skunks, It’s a great combo. As far as fish, I would be cautious of anything except a perching type of fish that stays under 3 inches maybe some sort of dwarf Gobie or angler.

I keep blue legs, scarlet legs of small size, nassarius snails, turbos, and peppermint shrimp. They all work great together but if you don’t have your frags secure, expect the hermits to knock them every which way daily.
Ya great stuff for the Molly fish if you get a certain breed they grow only three inches I have some, if you do go this route stay away form sailor fin Mollys and Lyrietails, I lie there fish as you don’t really need to quarantine as the diseas they may have cannot survive saltwater as they are accustomed to freshwater environments. For others fish maybe a pistol shrimp and goby duo there awesome to see May be two much but they don’t really need much space as there burro making basically there own space to live

Back