Inverts Keep Dying

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A poly filter pad may tell you if copper is present or something else by the colour it changes just a thought.
Yep, I run a poly filter pad in my Cannister...the wife keeps thinking I'm buying more snails, but I promise I have not..lots of zebras, trochus, 1 pin cushion Urchin, 4 peppermint shrimp in a 40B all doing awesome.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What times do you measure ph bychance?

is it 7.7 during the daytime? Its normal for Ph to drop a few at night, but you want to stable it around 8.4 as much as possible, preferably 8.4 during the day, dropping to 8.0 at night when the photo period ends.

I still don't think that's them main contributor though, likely heavy metals in the tank you're not aware off (if you had anything rusty like a metal scrapper or dropped a screw that rusted in there that'll do it).

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What times do you measure ph bychance?

is it 7.7 during the daytime? Its normal for Ph to drop a few at night, but you want to stable it around 8.4 as much as possible, preferably 8.4 during the day, dropping to 8.0 at night when the photo period ends.

I still don't think that's them main contributor though, likely heavy metals in the tank you're not aware off (if you had anything rusty like a metal scrapper or dropped a screw that rusted in there that'll do it).
It measured 7.7 during the day. But thanks for the suggestion, I'll look around to make sure nothing metal is hiding somewhere.

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is way off... especially with high alkalinity.., what testing equipment is being used
Okay, since then, I’ve gotten my pH back up, and my alk down. I tried another invert, it lasted a little longer, about a week, but it died also. I’m using Salifert test kits.

dnb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, since then, I’ve gotten my pH back up, and my alk down. I tried another invert, it lasted a little longer, about a week, but it died also. I’m using Salifert test kits.
id wait on inverts until the pH and alkalinity stabilizes. pH 7.8-8.2 and 8-12 for dkh...
dropping 0.1-0.2 pH is expected during the night without having reverse lighting periods between display and refugium. don't chase exact numbers, rather focus on stability.
for instance my pH stays at 8.1 and dkh 10.5-11.
also try to test in the mornings before your display lights turn on.
have you watched the invert during acclimation (whats the animal behavior, get very still, seeming to try to itch itself like crazy, or etc)?, also what inverts are you attempting, some are picky with high nitrates too for example

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What source are you buying inverts from?

What fish exactly do you own in that tank (either i'm tired and don't see it or this wasn't a posted list)

Is any of the equipment used or did you buy all new?

What is your step-by-step acclimation method?

I'm suspecting the instant death relates to acclimation, and the rest is either poisoning from used equipment (never know if it was part of a QT treated setup), or predation from other livestock. Inverts are finnicky when first added, but past that they thrive as long as food sources exist and nothing eats them. I've kept snails and shrimp in some very unideal circumstances and had them pull through.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back