Investigate silica?

philosophile

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
190
Reaction score
198
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I've been enjoying your chaeto experiment and I was just wondering if you would be willing to do an experiment on silica dosing as a method of reducing nitrate and phosphate? For a while people were dosing silica to encourage diatom growth which would then be skimmed out of the tank.

You could run a test by using a control with nothing but a skimmer and fresh SW, and lit. Add some nitrogenous fertilizer and phosphate fertilizer. Repeat with another tank and add silica as well. See if there is a reduction in Phosphate and nitrate, also you could check skimmate in both tanks for diatoms.
 
Hey there!

Thanks for the idea! I'm adding it to the list of potential tests. :) It's a pretty interesting concept that I would be interested in, myself!

-Randy
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new