Investigate Turnover Rates

Chris Villalobos

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
384
Reaction score
250
Location
Boise, ID, USA
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has BRS investigated Turnover Rates? I know Triton recommends a 10x turnover but I'm wonder how much turnover is truly necessary.

I ask because I ran a low turnover rate tank (2x) for a while and had a terrible display hair algae outbreak while testing 0 NO3 and 0 PO4. It almost made me quit the hobby. I've since upped my Turnover rate and often wonder if my low flow to the sump was the problem all along.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new