IOAOI Nano Tank - Hope

kitti-fish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2024
Messages
501
Reaction score
576
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a couple of months I’ve been wanting a new tank. Preferably one to house dwarf seahorses group (5.5 usable space so 8-16 of them) and just have a natural macro algea feel. I’ve been putting it off since we have been trying to have a baby and I just did not want to do another tank in case I am going to be expecting.
In recent weeks, the fear of infertility has appeared in our minds and I have been more and more distressed. Yesterday I ended up going to my doctors appointment and reality is setting in that having our first child might not happen without medical intervention. I’m gutted. And when I’m in a bad way I need something to take my mind off of it. I had been eyeing tanks but anything that caught my eye didn’t end up in my lap. My husband, seeing my distress, decided to order me a new tank and a bunch of add ons for the dream to come alive. I’m naming this new tank Hope. I’m hoping by the end of the setup and the addition of new little critters, our baby will become a reality without the need for medical intervention. This may be a slow build with doctors visits and bouts of down days but it will eventually happen. Everything is arriving this Friday.
 
I've got this tank and love it. Old picture but:

3707.jpg


I've got a Grumpface (Mr. Grumpface) YWG and Pistol Pete Randalls pistol shrimp that make a real mess of things.
 
One thing to consider: the overflow weirs can't handle a lot of flow, but that shouldn't be a huge issue with Seahorses.
 
One thing to consider: the overflow weirs can't handle a lot of flow, but that shouldn't be a huge issue with Seahorses.
Yes that’s why I opted for it plus it’s been a wishlist tank for awhile. I have a few pump options on hand so I’ll see what works.
 
I was either going to use the Rio+ 600 or a Syncra 0.5. Depends on which one will fit 😅
I have the Sicce Syncra Silent. If you get the Silent, it fits perfectly at an angle with the front "silencer" removed.
 
Are you using the sock or planning on a filter cup?
I do like the sock so that’s what I’ll be sticking with. It will also have a skimmer in another chamber. I should have everything else on hand besides a lid and sand and of course the macro algae. Kickstarting with some sump rock.
 
Those little socks are a pain to clean. I ended up going with a floss holder. I ran the ioaoi nano pump on mine and it did well. It's a cool little tank.
The socks are all a pain to clean 😅 but what’s a little headache. If it does become an issue I may replace with floss but last time I did a floss filter it was..really really gross. My current tank socks don’t get too nasty since my bioload is really small but this being my smallest tank I’ll ever run, I am curious what the bioload will look like down the line. Very excited.
 
Bought this stand originally to hold my 60 gallon vivarium but after realizing the bottom leaks after a year I built it, tank went to the ground and new tank will be going here. I had some vintage robots holding up but electrical and water don’t mix so robots got moved to my desk
20261007_104728_1D7171D2-898D-4578-839F-4ED064633ADD.png



20261007_104943_C67FDC09-1859-4FCD-917C-918D2515C6E0.png



20261007_105021_3E90AABE-DF33-4D2E-A6AC-DE7C324D86F1.png

One is at the mechanic for broken parts that need fixing. I have many many hobbies as you can see.

Banished to the floor with a waterproof mat.
20261007_104820_CD81B6F9-6077-4EA0-93C4-D078F9C4A440.png
 
@kitti-fish are you looking for a small system for dwarf seahorses? If so, this is a screaming deal on an 8 gallon AIO with a light and a Bubble Magus Mini Q Skimmer clone for $90:
8 Gallon AIO Kit on Amazon

This aquarium kit was recently purchased by Jay Hemdal who said it's legit, and usually sells for like $150:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/8-gallon-aio-gangpike.1172619/#post-14557049

Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendation but my husband already purchased me a IOAOI with an add on skimmer and an extras. I have most everything I need besides sand and the necessary small live plants and animals. This will be a pretty slow build to get my mind occupied .
 
Thanks for the recommendation but my husband already purchased me a IOAOI with an add on skimmer and an extras. I have most everything I need besides sand and the necessary small live plants and animals. This will be a pretty slow build to get my mind occupied .
Sorry, I didn't realize that you guys already had the tank 🙃

Good luck with your project!
 
Thanks for the recommendation but my husband already purchased me a IOAOI with an add on skimmer and an extras. I have most everything I need besides sand and the necessary small live plants and animals. This will be a pretty slow build to get my mind occupied .
Sorry, I didn't realize that you guys already had the tank 🙃

Good luck with your project!
You are all good! No need to be sorry 🤍
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new