IOAOI Reef 80 Errors

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of testers were given to members here to try out so I’m hoping someone had experienced constant errors and could help me figure this skimmer out.

I’ve not used a skimmer that shuts off after giving errors before so this is new to me. The ones I’ve had previously just run, they get adjusted, they do their skimming business.

I’m getting constant error E6 with this skimmer. It’ll work for a bit, it’ll pull stuff out of the water fine, then bam! E6, yet again?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know a lot of testers were given to members here to try out so I’m hoping someone had experienced constant errors and could help me figure this skimmer out.

I’ve not used a skimmer that shuts off after giving errors before so this is new to me. The ones I’ve had previously just run, they get adjusted, they do their skimming business.

I’m getting constant error E6 with this skimmer. It’ll work for a bit, it’ll pull stuff out of the water fine, then bam! E6, yet again?
@IOAOI , this is a pump error?

I think you need to unplug the pump, take it out and clean it. I pulled the impeller out and found some ivermectin snails in the chamber, cleaned them off and it worked. At least until my urchin ate the cord...

OP
OP
JAS927

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@IOAOI , this is a pump error?

I think you need to unplug the pump, take it out and clean it. I pulled the impeller out and found some ivermectin snails in the chamber, cleaned them off and it worked. At least until my urchin ate the cord...

This is a brand new set up that has nothing in it but a few fish as of currently. I pulled everything apart when trying to figure out what could be going on just to double check that everything internally was alright. It all looks good to me. The skimmer runs great and pulls guck out then just shuts off for seemingly no reason. It was giving me an E7 code for a bit too but a power reset did the trick apparently. I love the skimmer but if it’s going to randomly turn off and need continuous power resets it doesn’t really make sense to keep it around.

OP
OP
JAS927

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I was able to get in touch with IOAOI via messaging them on here and the pump was replaced… it’s been producing this gorgeous guck since!

Attachments

• IMG_7277.jpeg
    IMG_7277.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 24

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I was able to get in touch with IOAOI via messaging them on here and the pump was replaced… it’s been producing this gorgeous guck since!
Do you have the info to contact IOAOI, I can’t find it. I am constantly getting e-7 code

OP
OP
JAS927

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the info to contact IOAOI, I can’t find it. I am constantly getting e-7 code
I messaged them on here. They sent me a new pump for it and I noticed that the old one was a very sloppy fit when I took it apart to check the impeller vs the new one…however, after a few weeks it was right back to the error. I click the skimmer on and sometimes it skims for a while and others it errors out.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I messaged them on here. They sent me a new pump for it and I noticed that the old one was a very sloppy fit when I took it apart to check the impeller vs the new one…however, after a few weeks it was right back to the error. I click the skimmer on and sometimes it skims for a while and others it errors out.
My experience was similar. Even though I enjoyed the skimmate it produced and its form factor, the problem you're describing is ultimately why I switched back to my RO 150INT

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right it ran correctly for a few weeks then started erroring out. I have striped this thing down to nothing then it willi run for a little while and then error out again.

OP
OP
JAS927

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was similar. Even though I enjoyed the skimmate it produced and its form factor, the problem you're describing is ultimately why I switched back to my RO 150INT
I’m considering a switch. It’s unfortunate because I just bought this skimmer, and truly do love the size, look, and how it functions - when it does it properly. But my tank is only skimmed when I continue to reset it and the current state of the water indicates this probably isn’t the best bet for it.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering a switch. It’s unfortunate because I just bought this skimmer, and truly do love the size, look, and how it functions - when it does it properly. But my tank is only skimmed when I continue to reset it and the current state of the water indicates this probably isn’t the best bet for it.
I have the exact same feeling about the skimmer. I actually PREFER it in all aspects but the failure-prone pump

OP
OP
JAS927

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same feeling about the skimmer. I actually PREFER it in all aspects but the failure-prone pump
I would try another pump on it just to be able to keep it…even with the unexpected FedEx shipping bill I got in the mail after being shipped a free replacement.

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you switch, try what they told me take your motor apart and pull the impeller from the house all the way at the bottom of the impeller housing. There is a black gasket or grommet. I use my little finger and pushed on the grandma to make sure it was seated properly put it back together and it’s been working like a champ.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the next size up one and it error out occasionally. But i really like it so

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this
Thank you for reaching out and we are sorry for the inconvenience.
Remove the pump, open the lid of the pump, take out the impeller.
You can see that there is a black O ring at the end of the cavity. It might be a little bit loose. Find a small stick, give it a gentle poke to make it tight. Then reinstall it to see if it works.

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the next size up one and it error out occasionally. But i really like it so
This is what IOAOI told me to do been a week no issues at any intensity
Thank you for reaching out and we are sorry for the inconvenience.
Remove the pump, open the lid of the pump, take out the impeller.
You can see that there is a black O ring at the end of the cavity. It might be a little bit loose. Find a small stick, give it a gentle poke to make it tight. Then reinstall it to see if it works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back