Iodine dosing for Zoanthids

DiamondCoralsLLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R, I'm interested in starting to dose iodine in my reef tank because I heard it brightens zoanthid colors and boosts their grow, any idea how much per gallon I would dose? thanks for the help!

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing trace but still my last ICP came back saying iodine was low so I have been dosing an extra 1ml a day.
Testing, if I am doing it right is still showing low but that could mean my Zoas have pulled it down before I test?
Using Salifert test. Which has 2 parts. Iodide and Iodine/Iodate.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply! but this does not give me any insight on how or what to dose for iodine
You should only dose if you have tested for it and determine it’s deficient. Otherwise you are most likely wasting money or getting things out of balance. Blind dosing is just not a good idea

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply! but this does not give me any insight on how or what to dose for iodine
An ICP test will tell you where your Iodine is. It will provide a daily dosing amount if you chose to do so but as many believe iodine is not necessary to dose it may all be in vane.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would test via icp to see current lvls and then add iodide if need b. Hobby grade tests are not that accurate and dosing something u can’t test for isn’t ideal. If add lugols u can easily overdose

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are iodine test kits. Most reefs tend to become depleted. Don't know if it will help your zoas or not. I wouldn't dose without testing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello R2R, I'm interested in starting to dose iodine in my reef tank because I heard it brightens zoanthid colors and boosts their grow, any idea how much per gallon I would dose? thanks for the help!
Actually you want to dose iodide, which zoa convert to needed iodine and iodate. Iodine is also used by corals to detoxify oxygen produced by its zooxanthellae.
I generally add iodine at 2-3 drops per 10 gallons

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge there isn't a single animal that is able to use elemental iodine. Animals are only able to use iodine salts like potassium iodide or organically bound iodine. I stopped dosing and can't see a difference.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where can I get an ICP test
For what it’s worth, I use ATI icp tests. You can get them from Bulk Reef Supply, Saltwater aquarium, and others. There are other companies that do icp tests but as far as I know, ATI is the only one that also tests your source water (RODI). They send you some sample tubes you fill up with water samples put them into the provided envelope and stick the provided shipping label on and about 1 week later you get results.

Also for what it’s worth.. my last icp test said I was low on iodine so I dosed it to how and what they recommended. My newest test results I expect tomorrow so we will see.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 drops of Tropic Marin Iodine for my 120G daily. ICP came back low therefore adding an extra drop. No adverse effect, except that the shrimps are shedding more often.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I'd go with something like Red Sea trace Colors Iodine or some other aquarium-branded iodine supplement. They are usually Iodide (I-) instead of I2 (like lugol's) and they contain the dosage instructions to target a reasonable level - often 0.06 ppm Iodine.

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the Red Sea stuff for a while, I do think it’s 50/50 whether it’s worth the risk or not.

I’ve lost too many high end Zoas when the iodine gets up to 0.09 ppm

in which case they melt in 48 hours but are the only thing affected by the high iodine.
mid I was to do it again I wouldn’t dose it. Too much risk versus the benefit and the test kits are a nightmare so an icp every 3 months is in my view rather essential

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ICP test will tell you where your Iodine is. It will provide a daily dosing amount if you chose to do so but as many believe iodine is not necessary to dose it may all be in vane.

How does an icp test give a daily dosing amount unless you do tests on multiple days in a row while you dose?

It just gives a one time correction dose. Whether that is needed daily, weekly, monthly, or hourly can only be determined by multiple tests.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back