IODINE / IODIDE - Proper Testing and the need to dose

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused about the proper testing of IODIDE. I have been testing a few times a week and seems that it is 0 "using Salifert". I add to my tank and seems that corals react positively, but have been told to be very careful of dosing IODIDE. I was concerned about the salifert test kit as it does have a warning that ozone can give inaccurate results - I do have an ozone reactor/generator on my system. Because of the salifert notice of ozone giving possible false results, I felt that investing in a hannah IODINE test kit was a good option. I received this test kit and have been continuing to test "0". I guess maybe this test kit tests for toxic iodine vs. IODIDE that should be about ,06 ppm?? if anyone has experience with dosing iodide and specifically using hannah test kit for testing, I would love to hear your experience.

Thanks

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the answer but this thread talks a lot about iodine and iodide in the aquarium with Randy Holmes Farley. Hopefully this helps some.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the Salifert kit has false negative issues with ozone.

Iodide is rapidly depleted in most tanks, including mine, as algae and other organisms take it up.

if you think it useful (I didn’t find it useful), I would suggest dosing to NSW levels once or twice a week.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! stupid question, but what do you mean by NSW levels?

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused about the proper testing of IODIDE. I have been testing a few times a week and seems that it is 0 "using Salifert". I add to my tank and seems that corals react positively, but have been told to be very careful of dosing IODIDE. I was concerned about the salifert test kit as it does have a warning that ozone can give inaccurate results - I do have an ozone reactor/generator on my system. Because of the salifert notice of ozone giving possible false results, I felt that investing in a hannah IODINE test kit was a good option. I received this test kit and have been continuing to test "0". I guess maybe this test kit tests for toxic iodine vs. IODIDE that should be about ,06 ppm?? if anyone has experience with dosing iodide and specifically using hannah test kit for testing, I would love to hear your experience.

Thanks
Hey how does that Hanna Iodine tester work for you? Does it go low enough to read the Iodine levels in our tanks? I didn't know it was for saltwater. I'm pretty sure it's not, it's for pools. Was it even working for you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I did not realize it was for pools as I purchased it from an aquarium place... I assumed it was for aquariums. Anyway, to answer your question, any Hanna test kit is very unreliable. Actually the only one that seems to be accurate is the one I use for Copper and for my QT.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I did not realize it was for pools as I purchased it from an aquarium place... I assumed it was for aquariums. Anyway, to answer your question, any Hanna test kit is very unreliable. Actually the only one that seems to be accurate is the one I use for Copper and for my QT.
Yea thays why is inaccurate. It's for testing Iodine in pools. That's not cool that your aquarium store was carrying that and sold it to you. The testers Hanna makes can't all handle saltwater, a lot only fresh water. I have one of their Alkalinity and Phosphate checkers and they're great. Iodine is a bear to test. A lot of the manual test kits are not very accurate. There is however a hack for the HI-707 Low Range Nitrite tester where you can use the reagents from the Red Sea Iodine test kit, do some math and follow timing exactly and you can use it to test Iodine. I actually have one coming in the mail so I can start accurately testing Iodine. There are hacks for other elements and testers as well.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back