Ion Director delayed again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
I think the question hobbyist who pre-ordered needs to ask or determine is why is there a delay. Is it related to supply chain and logistics due to the world situation or is it due to hardware and/or software or both. The challenge is reading through the marking posts and updates and other noise to make a educated decision.

I'm not a hobbyist who is interested in the product but I will say the manufacture is getting more of a pass compared to another company.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One has to resign themselves to knowing that some posters on here are going to be right all the time. And they can jump on someone while bashing you for doing it.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a hobbyist who is interested in the product but I will say the manufacture is getting more of a pass compared to another company.

Neptune Trident? My opinion is less flak towards GHL due to smaller market share, less of an overall wait from announcement to scheduled delivery, and more transparency about the product's development.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Trident? My opinion is less flak towards GHL due to smaller market share, less of an overall wait from announcement to scheduled delivery, and more transparency about the product's development.
I assume he meant Mindstream who was crucified for proposing an extra 90 days of wait time.

U

User1

View Badges

No, MindStream.

As far as the two companies go - I don't have an issue and don't believe it is related to either market share or transparency. But it is just my opinion but will also say I'm probably biased. I've been a Neptune owner since 2000. However, when I do discuss things like this I try to be unbiased and if answer say why.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume he meant Mindstream who was crucified for proposing an extra 90 days of wait time.

Or 7 years of wait time depending on how you look at it :). It still had those who defended it even after it's death!

I hope the Neptune stuff works out for you, surprised to see that based on previous comments you've made about them.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or 7 years of wait time depending on how you look at it :). It still had those who defended it even after it's death!

I hope the Neptune stuff works out for you, surprised to see that based on previous comments you've made about them.
The clock for me starts ticking the moment I give you my money. If it had taken them 15 years to develop the Mindstream that would be their problem not mine. I have no problems with reasonable delays after launch because I know stuff happens, but this delay is a bridge to far for me.

As for going with Neptune, it is my last choice of the three products that can test multi parameters. I have no interest in controlling any of my tank equipment with the Apex. I will adjust my dosing pump manually via my Aquatronica and use the Apex as a monitor for Alk, Ca and Mg.

Last edited:

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all are grasping at straws. I said they will have had my money for 12 months. I ordered mine on day one!
So they got my money on Dec 5th 2019 and based on their new timeline I would not receive my unit until Dec 2020 or most likely beyond that. So that is 12 months that they would have had my money. And are you people forgetting that Autumn ends on Dec 21st?

Dates are facts that speak for themselves so I don't propose to overlay argument on top of them. As to your overall point, honestly it sounds like you've made the right decision in cancelling your GHL order and buying an Apex (I presume you picked up a Trident with it). Whether you ultimately opted for the 50% down payment for the ION Director or immediately paid in full, you are never going to be happy about the length of time that a chunk of your money has been out of your bank account. I don't think you can be legitimately criticised for that - I think it's an entirely fair concern to have. What I'm hoping is that one day, as you suggest, you do pick up the ION Director anyway as that could well result in this forum getting the benefit of a detailed comparison from you of the two units and your experiences with them.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the third option? other than GHL and Neptune, as I don't want either

I was including the Mindstream as that was my first choice. That is not a dead product yet, it was very much alive just prior to Covid but now I don't know.

And @Silver14SS it is obvious that you had no clue what had recently been happening with Mindstream. Lets just say there was a very good reason that the website is still operational.

Last edited:

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the movie theater sells you premier tickets for a movie coming out next Friday and you pay in advance for your tickets and then the theater says oh so sorry but the movie won't be coming out for another 5-7 months. I would expect a refund and a guarantee that because they screwed up they will offer me some kind of compensation! Is a guarantee that you still have the first option at getting the premier date seats you had paid for to much to ask for?

It's called customer service and it's designed to keep customers doing business with you in the future.

The Airlines do this stuff all the time. They cancel a flight and they pay for your hotel and get you on the next flight. They oversell the seats and they give you a free flight. I had that happen once. They asked if anybody was willing to give up their seat for a young couple that was trying to catch a connecting flight. I gave up my seat and got a cash rebate equal to the value of my ticket plus kept my ticket to fly the next day.

Honestly I don't give a crap if GHL is trying to hold people in line with this tactic. I am sure that they are going to have a lot of extra units for sale come December or whenever.
How many products have you paid for in full and then waited an extra year to receive them?
United cancelled my Texas trip. Didn't give me a refund. Gave me credit. And they even cancelled it. It's bs but they did. So not the best to compare. And also reading ghl is giving preordered customers 1L bottles with their ions

It's unfortunate. But I expected this the entire time it happened with the kh. It happened with trident.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We alll have to just deal with it. We either keep it or not. We all have decisions.

I called Vinny today and it took a long time to reach him. I kept on getting the answering machine.
I assume I am not the only one cancelling or calling in upset. When I did get him he did the refund and said it would come through in a few days.

U

User1

View Badges
I called Vinny today and it took a long time to reach him. I kept on getting the answering machine.
I assume I am not the only one cancelling or calling in upset. When I did get him he did the refund and said it would come through in a few days.

I'm glad you got it taken care of. For what it is worth, and you didn't ask me so I apologize, but I would have recommended you waiting. I mean get the refund because that would have been important to me as well if I was in your shoes. What I mean though is that you already have a controller so would only be buying it to control the testing unit. Also I know you are not a fan of reagents (not stirring the pot - just from our previous conversations). Sounds like you will get some money moved around by selling the energy bar so may not be an issue.

I was just thinking if you are manually testing today it may be worth it to wait it out. In any case hope all is well with you and yours.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was including the Mindstream as that was my first choice. That is not a dead product yet, it was very much alive just prior to Covid but now I don't know.

And @Silver14SS it is obvious that you had no clue what had recently been happening with Mindstream. Lets just say there was a very good reason that the website is still operational.

Nobody has any clue. You claim to, yet never post proof :). I would love to hear more factual information about MS, maybe even from them! The "I can't say who or what, but just trust me!" comments make it impossible for me to take the product or it's defenders seriously.

If they opened another Kickstarter or pre-order today, would you send SAI your money again?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people preorder not because of the “discount”, but for bragging rights. Of course a company wants you to preorder, your paying for the product before it’s developed and done at no risk to them. To be considered an investment is a stretch unless you plan to immediately sell it taking advantage of the discount. Other than that, it’s a money trap haha

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back