Iron and ORP question

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my triton results which showed an Fe of 0. I dosed 10ml of Kent iron and manganese supplement. Over the next 4 hours I noted a dramatic drop in the ORP. Can someone explain the chemistry? Did I just create rust?? Lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you dose? Assuming you dosed a ferrous salt (Fe++) rather than ferric (Fe+++) then that will lower ORP. That is no concern. It does not mean the iron converted into rust.

I discuss effects of metals and other compounds on ORP here:

ORP and the Reef Aquarium - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.htm

FWIW, Triton cannot detect nearly low enough to say you need to dose iron, although dosing iron is often desirable.

here's my comment on it:

My Triton Testing Results: By Randy Holmes-Farley
http://www.reefedition.com/my-triton-testing-results-by-randy-holmes-farley/

Iron (Fe). The natural iron level varies a lot with depth, but surface seawater may have only 0.006 µg/L. The Triton LOD = 0.3 µg/L. I dose iron, and when I dose it I boost iron to roughly 1-2 µg/L, which would be detectable. This sample was taken more than a week after the last iron dosing, and none was detected as it gets depleted in the meanwhile. I’ve not yet seen a Triton test result for a real aquarium sample that had detectable iron, but that doesn’t mean these tanks are necessarily deficient. Iron is also a case where the form is critical, and ICP cannot distinguish form. Binding to organic matter, for example, can alter the bioavailability of iron.

OP
OP
recess62

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Randy. I am using the Kent marine iron and manganese supplement. It appears the iron is provided by using FeEDTA

The rust comment was tongue in cheek ;)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back