Iron pills in Canada

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't have Fergon here, but I'm looking to dose iron to boost the growth and filtering capabilities of my chaeto and allowing me to keep more, cooler algae such as Hypnea and Gracilaria. Is there an equivalent organic iron supplement available in Canada that I can use to dose iron at an equal or lower price? I am currently looking at the Jamieson iron capsules, but I'm not sure what form their iron is in. There's also the Webber Naturals ferrous bisglycinate, which contains amino acids and vitamins that I'm afraid would decompose into nitrogenous waste and contaminate my water. I've been avoiding inorganic(ionic) iron because I'm worried that the iron would just oxidize and fall out of solution.

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or can you get sodium citrate, steel wool, and sulfuric acid?

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or can you get sodium citrate, steel wool, and sulfuric acid?
I can only access hydrochloric acid. Does ferrous chloride work the same?
I do have a massive excess of chloride ions in my water though... I already dose calcium chloride.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they're a bit expensive but if there isn't another option it can work out. I prefer melting a pill and dripping in the solution though.

If you can get those two it's an easy formula. I wrote it on a bottle so I don't have to look it up each year I make a batch.
IMG_20231115_203548523.jpg

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get those two it's an easy formula. I wrote it on a bottle so I don't have to look it up each year I make a batch.
IMG_20231115_203548523.jpg
Imo reacting a dosing solution is a bit annoying, and it's really difficult to tell whether it's more efficient than organic iron in terms of price.

Speaking of organic iron... will dosing blood work?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo reacting a dosing solution is a bit annoying, and it's really difficult to tell whether it's more efficient than organic iron in terms of price.

Speaking of organic iron... will dosing blood work?

I would not dose blood for a variety of reasons.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be easier to tell us what you can get and we can check it, than play 20 questions. :)
I listed two products on the initial post. I trust that people in this forum are capable of thorough reading. Here’s some more:

These are pretty much it, bar the overpriced stuff that aren’t going to be worth it in terms of pricing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I listed two products on the initial post. I trust that people in this forum are capable of thorough reading. Here’s some more:

These are pretty much it, bar the overpriced stuff that aren’t going to be worth it in terms of pricing.

I’d use the ferrous fumarate. Be sure to let the undissolvable ingredients settle out.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, the up front cost of bulk ingredients maybe more (~$40-50) but will last many years and don't have to worry about fillers.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, the up front cost of bulk ingredients maybe more (~$40-50) but will last many years and don't have to worry about fillers.
I won't be in the hobby for that long, thus I'm not especially willing to purchase bulk supplies unless I can get it for less than 20 bucks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I assume I can dose it the same way as bisglycinate?

I haven’t used or recommended bisglycinate. Same as Fergon, ferrous gluconate, yes..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I read some people dosing bisglycinate the same way as gluconate elsewhere. Thanks. Guess I'll add iron pills to my next order.

They may be and that may be fine. I may have even said so in the past, but I don't recall it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back