My Triton experiences so far

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Szathmary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 11th month with Triton.

I thought that I share with you guys my experiences and the theories I started to believe in and rely on.
Some are strictly related to Triton some other are more general.
And sorry for my English. I'm Hungarian.

THE "SWEET" SEA WATER

First of all, I recommend 2 must read scientific studies to people who want to play with the Triton Method:

1. http://www.int-res.com/articles/ab_oa/b010p131.pdf
2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1218179/pdf/9078264.pdf

What do they suggest?

1. Algae seems to release carbohydrates, especially glucose (a form of sugar)
2. Corals, including SPS corals seem to be able to use glucose to synthesize at least 14 out of the 17 studied amino acids including all the 8 essential amino acids.

I think if you combine these 2 points you will see how Triton Method is supposed to work. Or at least how algae refugium is more than just a tool to control NO3 and PO4.

But I also assume that most people - just like I did at the beginning - think that the nutrient export provided by the algae refugium is strictly related and also very limited by the growth capacity of the algae species. If you recall the suggestion by the first study you will immediately see more potential in the algae: I think that the glucose released by the algae is used as an organic carbon source by bacteria as well, just like in the Vodka or in the Zeovit methods. I believe that this is much better than any manual carbon dosing. Why? Because it is naturally controlled. The big risk with manual carbon dosing is that you do not know when to stop before it is too late. I think in the Triton Method the way how algae refugium participates in the nutrient export is not just through the direct consumption of nitrogen and phosphorus (via growth) but also as a facilitator of the bacterial activity. As long as nutrients are high algae is thriving well so it also provides the bacteria with good amount of organic carbon. But once nitrogen is getting very low bio-activity of the algae goes down so its organic carbon release as well.

SEA URCHINS BECAME MY BEST FRIENDS

Since the Triton Method encourages algae growth algae will grow everywhere not just in the refugium. I do not say that I noticed an outbreak of any algae from the refugium but I noticed that the surface of my live rock became "dirtier". The problem with this is that the live rock is supposed to be our MAIN biological filter media (I believe that it is much better than siphorax or matrix) but detritus, coralline algae, and other "web like" algae can close the little pores, so make the live rock much less efficient. This is when sea urchins can do magic. One urchin per 100 liter will keep your live rock clean.

Live rock complements the refugium. They are the yin and the yang of the system so both require attention and care.

LOW NUTRITION IS NOT EVIL

The second main point which I wanted to highlight - not strictly related to the Triton Method - is that how NO3 dosing might be a false concept. I frequently discover new posts of people about their NO3 dosing regime to keep NO3 measurable. So before we jump into some other Triton Method experiences let me share with you my point of view about inorganic nutrients. The reason why I think this is worth to be discussed here is that with the Triton Method you may reach undetectable PO4 and NO3 (with the standard, hobby level test kits at least) which may be considered as the "evil SPS killer ULNS zone" but it is not. So I think:

1. NO3 dosing is a self-deception
NO3 is only a mid-step of the nitrogen cycle indicating the state of the nitrification, but hard to believe that NO3 dosing can fix a malfunctioning cycle. If you "naturally" want more NO3 you need more ammonia or urea in the system (That is why more fish helps - on the other hand their feeding also increase PO4 unfortunately...) FYI In my previous tanks I also played a lot with NO3 and NH4 with no result.

2. Starving corals can not be saved with NO3
As far as I know SPS/LPS corals can not directly use NO3. The way how they consume inorganic nutrient is very likely via zooxhantella and the preferred form is ammonia or urea. Even though zooxhantella's job is to transform inorganic N into organic sugar using the power form the light, studies suggests that this source of sugar alone is not enough for the coral to survive.

3. NO3 is rather a food for bacteria
NO3 is the preferred food source for many bacteria (it requires less energy to deal with than with ammonia). Most tanks run out of nitrogen faster than phosphorus that is why NO3 dosing helps to lower PO4 especially if the primary nutrient export is heavily rely on an overdriven bacterial growth like Zoevit, pellet, vodka, etc. But these systems need additional organic carbon dosing as well since the limiting nutrient for bacteria is the carbon and not the nitrogen.

4. Inorganic dosing can easily lead to cyano.
In a nitrogen limited aquarium if you start dosing any inorganic nitrogen of phosphorus there is a high chance that it will lead to cyano. Cyano is a super-survivor so that it can adopt faster to any new food sources than other bacteria.

5. PO4 is not an enemy, and it will not make a coral brown.
PO4 does not make SPS corals brown. Ammonia + PO4 together does. Why is this interesting? At the natural coral reefs PO4 is around 0,01-0,03 - this is in line with the values we try to achieve in a tank - but this PO4 value is never paired with 5-10 NO3 at the coral reef which would be an indicator of an extremely high ammonia load (That is why chasing Redfield makes no sense for me at all!). At the coral reef both ammonia and NO3 levels are very low. Eg. NO3 is around 0,01 ppm.

6. Zero measurable NO3 or PO4 does not mean that you do not have enough.
As far as I consider there are two types of zero (or very low) nutrient. In the first one the excess nutrient is very quickly consumed with no or below detection level left-over. In the second one there is no nutrient at all. In both case our tests are showing 0, however at the first one the tank is thriving while at the second one it is dying.

7. Lack of certain trace elements (or/and light) is a bigger issue than low nutrient
I have no scientific proof but I think that sometimes higher nutrient levels solve some coral related issue such as growth or/and colors not because the lack of nutrient was a real issue but because the lack of certain key trace elements (and light) did not allow the coral perform efficiently at a lower level nutrient level.

Here are the scientific papers I gathered over years related to may thoughts above:

1. About how NO3 is good for zooxanthellae alone:
Nitrate increases zooxanthellae population density and reduces skeletogenesis in corals
http://mgg.rsmas.miami.edu/groups/bi...2114319668.pdf

2. About how NH4 is even better for zooxanthellae:
The population dynamics of symbiotic zooxanthellae in the coral Pocillopora damicornis exposed to elevated ammonium (NH4Cl) concentrations.
http://hl-128-171-57-22.library.mano...n3-263-272.pdf

3. About how NO3 and NH4 makes coral brown and how PO4+NO3 or PO4+NH4 makes them even more while PO4 alone not:
The Effect of External Nutrient Resources on the Population Dynamics of Zooxanthellae in a Reef Coral
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...n_a_Reef_Coral

4. And a recent one about how inorganic nutrient are not enough:
Feature Study: Corals as the ultimate vegans?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2016/6/aafeature

TRACE ELEMENTS AND LIGHT ARE THE REAL CHALLENGE

At point 7 above I said "Lack of certain trace elements (or/and light) is a bigger issue than low nutrient" But how?

When I had my first ICP done I thought that adding some trace elements as it was recommend will do magic, and the next day my SPS corals will be 2x more colorful :) But in reality it just made problems. Whenever I patched my tank with occasional dosage of trace elements, especially when I pulled up a value from 0 to NSW I rather noticed some weird algae or bacterial slime appearing than color improvement.

I'm a big believer of NSW values, so I decided to design a solution for maintaining NSW trace element levels as opposed to achieve them just for a few moments every once in awhile.

So I tested my tank water every 30 days for 4 months. By the end of this period I knew exactly what was needed on a daily bases to offset my tank consumption. I know that Triton does not recommend us to mix different traces into one but I thought - even though I have very limited knowledge about chemistry - that I will make my own patch for the Base Elements to be dosed like the "5th" component of the balling 24/7. To avoid precipitation and degradation of elements I decided to use high dilution and mix elements in an amount which will not last longer than a week.

Even though I thought that I really did something "revolutionary" coral colors did not significantly improved.
I had low nutrient, close to NSW level stable trace elements, rock stable Kh, salinity, etc. What else could be missing?
Since I had 6x54W Ati Powermodul over my 120x45x45 (cm) tank I have never thought that light will be ever an issue.
But it was.
I think that certain trace elements (including especially manganese and iron) make zooxanthellae thrive at low nutrient as well. The host corals have no interest to lower their amount as long as they get what they want: sugar. The only way to convince the corals to expel some of their simbionts if they are sure to get the same amount of sugar. The key here is light. More light increases the performance of zooxanthellae so the coral needs less of them.

So I finally added led strips and I also changed the tube combination.
Original was: 3x Ati BluePlus + 3x Ati CoralPlus (app. 11.000 lumen)
Now I have: 4x Ati BluePlus + 2x Ati TrueActinic + 72W 4000K SMD LED strip + 60W 400nm SMD LED (app 15.000 lumen, with a very likely higher PUR due to more 400-440nm light, and a much even spectrum for chromoproteins to encourage red and yellow colors)

And finally the magic started happening for me.

SIZE MATTERS

The final learning which I wanted to share with you her is that I think that refugium is about size. Not necessarily in metric volume but in footprint for sure. Algae need light, so depth is counterproductive, and since algae has a key role in both feeding our corals and controlling bacterial activity we need to have a lot. If the "glucose" theory is really working it is very likely happening in the nano-molar end of the scale so a handful of Chaeto will not make any difference in a tank.

I also recommend you to start with a significant amount of algae and with several different species. If you start growing a small ball of Chateo alone - especially in a matured tank like mine was - it may take 6 months to reach something. Of course I also started with a small ball of Chaeto alone, which did not do too much in the first 2 months except slow growing. So I started adding new species and I also increased the amount of the well performing species GRADUALLY (E.g in my case non of the Caulerpa species worked but Ulva and especially red Gracilaria started growing like weed)

Triton suggests that the biodiversity of the refugium is important from the nutrient consumption point of view but I also think - as the first algae study revealed for me - that it is important from the "exudate" composition point of view as well. Not glucose is the only carbohydrate which is released by algae, and on top of carbohydrates they release proteins as well. It is very likely that the different algae species release different mix of these organic matters.

STABILITY

I used to have coral colors like this with the Zeovit system as well. The difference is that within the Zeovit world I was not able to maintain the results and I had my tank crashed 2x (STN, fading, no growth, cyano, etc) In both cases my tank started showing "the signs" within 1-2 months after the corals had reached their beauty peek.

With Triton I have very nice colors since 3-4 moths (at least)

HARDWARES

Salinity must be checked frequently. I recommend you to buy a lab grade conductivity meter instead of a refractometer. It will help you to evaluate you RO/DI water as well. I use: Greisinger GLF100

PHOTOS

Disclaimer:
- the corals are not recently bought corals and especially not from a fresh import
- I used 4000k LED light to take the photos with my iPhone SE and I added some saturation and sharpness in Photoshop

IMG_4384.jpg IMG_4385.jpg IMG_4386.jpg IMG_4387.jpg IMG_4388.jpg IMG_4389.jpg IMG_4390.jpg IMG_4391.jpg IMG_4392.jpg IMG_4393.jpg IMG_4394.jpg IMG_4395.jpg IMG_4396.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you taking the time to write this up. Something you wrote just clicked with me. I started dosing no3 by using stump remover because my sps colors were fading. I wasn't feeding much since I had a new tank with few fish. After a few days of dosing the stump remover I started to get cyano. At the time I thought diatoms was starting to reappear for some reason. I did notice my coral color start to improve with the dosing, so I kept using. For the life of me I could not figure out what could be causing the cyano because I only dosed enough to raise nitrates to 2 -3 ppm. This has went on for months and I totally forgot that the cyano first appeared when I started the dosing of no3, I even made a post asking about it. Even after water changes I will add more stump remover to keep it at the desired level, but the cyano kept coming back.

Thanks to your post I think I will stop dosing the stump remover and see how it goes but I think it is the cause when I look back at it now.

M3ace9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is random your tank is abnormally clean. Looks as if you placed the sps in a new tank haha. Good job keep it up

OP
OP
Szathmary

Szathmary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is random your tank is abnormally clean. Looks as if you placed the sps in a new tank haha. Good job keep it up

Concerning the cleanliness I think not everybody likes it.

But I promise it is true: the live rock has been in my tank for almost 3 years, and the sand is at least 11 month old.
1. Sea urchins keep my rock super clean, and as I mentioned in my first post I really think that it is much better than holding few liters of siphorax in the sump
2. In a low nutrient stable tank coralline algae has much lower chance
3. I use ATI Fiji Sand, which does not get dirty. Some people say that since Fiji Sand is not natural coral sand - which is true - it lacks the tiny pores so that the biological surface as well. But how does it matter if I have good quality live rock, and the sand is only 5-10mm in depth.
I have some sea stars to maintain the sand, and once a week I stir it. And since Ati Sand has no significant biological contribution I can even remove and wash it in tap water to get rid of detritus. THIS LAST ONE is not recommended to everybody :) since it is going against everything which normally one guy would suggest to another related to reefkeeping ;)
4. I also have an Emerald crab somewhere which I introduced before the Triton method due to some bubble algae issues. But recently I had to start feeding him with bubble algae which I harvested from the refugium. It is crazy, is it?

So as I said earlier this level of cleanliness might be perceived as something very in-natural, however I have my reasons again:
1. better biological capacity
2. the white reflects more light, so that corals may get even more (maybe even from below...)
3. on white the coral colors look much better

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent post! Thanks for doing this!
I need to go back and digest a lot of it, but one thing that struck a cord immediately is the urchins.
I always start my tanks with rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater here in the states. I always end up with a bunch of baby black short spine rock boring urchins that hitchhike in.
I have noticed that they do a great job keeping the rock clean of diatoms/turf algae. They grow real fast though so I tend to remove them when they get big.
My favorite are the black long spine urchins. Even though their circumference is pretty large I find them to be very gently, perfect for reefs.
What urchins do you favor for your tank?

I also like having several serpent starfish, cucumbers, lots of snails, crabs and small blue leg hermits.

What do you think is the cause of some Triton tanks ending up with algae problems?
Do you think its the lack of these vital clean up crew members?

Psymon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Szathmary, this is a very interesting experience you have gathered! Thank you for sharing.
I really think this whole algae business is the big secret and mystery and most likely the limiting factor and reason for so many peoples failure with their tanks in general. I think the key to successful feeding lies in a better understanding of how algae works.
Thanks for sharing!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes thank you for posting this very detailed review!

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could tell this was going to be a good post after the first two paragraphs. Thanks for the good info.

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post and great pics! Keep up the great work.

Brett H whitt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great reading, thanks.

I was also rather concerned about the algae buildup in your tank. There are lots of good success stories about Triton
but there are also a few who complain about algae infestations. The Triton supplements contain elements
to encourage algae growth. If your sump is undersized, your tank is over stocked or your sump lighting is not sufficient.
Your tank could easily end up becoming an algae farm.

I like the natural approach to the triton method, I am currently running Miracle mud with a Cheato bed in my sump and it works very well for me.
the Cheato keeps the Nitrates at a steady 0.25ppm. I run a GFO reactor to keep my phosphates in check. All I need to do is add about 200 GPH thru
my sump and buy another Neptune DOS unit and I would be able to convert over to the Triton method. I like my tank, but I do not like the idea of adding
trace elements and other things to the water without knowing how much to dose. It’s an accident waiting to happen.

OP
OP
Szathmary

Szathmary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think is the cause of some Triton tanks ending up with algae problems?
Do you think its the lack of these vital clean up crew members?

I have Tuxedos. I prefer urchins with short spine so they are able to clean tight spaces as well.

First of all, I do not want anybody to think that I'm a Triton method expert. This is my first and only Triton tank.
However common sense suggests that if you encourage algae to grow in the refugium it will grow everywhere better. I do not think that turf algae on the live rock knows that it is not supposed to thrive while you dose trace elements to make your Chaeto.

So yes, I think clean up crew is vital, but what is even more vital is that you are patient and you do not disturb the system too much. Where I think people make the most mistakes is that they tweak to much or too frequently their light, their feeding regime, or their skimmer, etc. But to give a general recommendation is impossible because sometimes you really need to change your light, or you skimmer to solve certain problems. You probably need to develop some sort of an analytical approach and you also need some experience to start changing things with the lowest impact first e.g adding an urchin. I'm not sure whether I'm clear or not... anyway, I think that the refugium has a complex biology as well as your tank and 2 complex systems need time to adopt to each other and become 1. A process like this may have temporary side effects like nuisance algae or even cyano.

Broly_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought that I share with you guys my experiences and the theories I started to believe in and rely on.

THE "SWEET" SEA WATER

First of all, I recommend 2 must read scientific studies to people who want to play with the Triton Method:

What do they suggest?

2. Corals, including SPS corals seem to be able to use glucose to synthesize at least 14 out of the 17 studied amino acids including all the 8 essential amino acids.

I think if you combine these 2 points you will see how Triton Method is supposed to work. Or at least how algae refugium is more than just a tool to control NO3 and PO4.

But I also assume that most people - just like I did at the beginning - think that the nutrient export provided by the algae refugium is strictly related and also very limited by the growth capacity of the algae species. If you recall the suggestion by the first study you will immediately see more potential in the algae: I think that the glucose released by the algae is used as an organic carbon source by bacteria as well, just like in the Vodka or in the Zeovit methods. I believe that this is much better than any manual carbon dosing. Why? Because it is naturally controlled. The big risk with manual carbon dosing is that you do not know when to stop before it is too late. I think in the Triton Method the way how algae refugium participates in the nutrient export is not just through the direct consumption of nitrogen and phosphorus (via growth) but also as a facilitator of the bacterial activity. As long as nutrients are high algae is thriving well so it also provides the bacteria with good amount of organic carbon. But once nitrogen is getting very low bio-activity of the algae goes down so its organic carbon release as well.

Since the Triton Method encourages algae growth algae will grow everywhere not just in the refugium. I do not say that I noticed an outbreak of any algae from the refugium but I noticed that the surface of my live rock became "dirtier". The problem with this is that the live rock is supposed to be our MAIN biological filter media (I believe that it is much better than siphorax or matrix) but detritus, coralline algae, and other "web like" algae can close the little pores, so make the live rock much less efficient. This is when sea urchins can do magic. One urchin per 100 liter will keep your live rock clean.

Live rock complements the refugium. They are the yin and the yang of the system so both require attention and care.

The second main point which I wanted to highlight - not strictly related to the Triton Method - is that how NO3 dosing might be a false concept. I frequently discover new posts of people about their NO3 dosing regime to keep NO3 measurable. So before we jump into some other Triton Method experiences let me share with you my point of view about inorganic nutrients. The reason why I think this is worth to be discussed here is that with the Triton Method you may reach undetectable PO4 and NO3 (with the standard, hobby level test kits at least) which may be considered as the "evil SPS killer ULNS zone" but it is not. So I think:

NO3 is only a mid-step of the nitrogen cycle indicating the state of the nitrification, but hard to believe that NO3 dosing can fix a malfunctioning cycle. If you "naturally" want more NO3 you need more ammonia or urea in the system (That is why more fish helps - on the other hand their feeding also increase PO4 unfortunately...) FYI In my previous tanks I also played a lot with NO3 and NH4 with no result.

As far as I know SPS/LPS corals can not directly use NO3. The way how they consume inorganic nutrient is very likely via zooxhantella and the preferred form is ammonia or urea. Even though zooxhantella's job is to transform inorganic N into organic sugar using the power form the light, studies suggests that this source of sugar alone is not enough for the coral to survive.

NO3 is the preferred food source for many bacteria (it requires less energy to deal with than with ammonia). Most tanks run out of nitrogen faster than phosphorus that is why NO3 dosing helps to lower PO4 especially if the primary nutrient export is heavily rely on an overdriven bacterial growth like Zoevit, pellet, vodka, etc. But these systems need additional organic carbon dosing as well since the limiting nutrient for bacteria is the carbon and not the nitrogen.

In a nitrogen limited aquarium if you start dosing any inorganic nitrogen of phosphorus there is a high chance that it will lead to cyano. Cyano is a super-survivor so that it can adopt faster to any new food sources than other bacteria.

PO4 does not make SPS corals brown. Ammonia + PO4 together does. Why is this interesting? At the natural coral reefs PO4 is around 0,01-0,03 - this is in line with the values we try to achieve in a tank - but this PO4 value is never paired with 5-10 NO3 at the coral reef which would be an indicator of an extremely high ammonia load (That is why chasing Redfield makes no sense for me at all!). At the coral reef both ammonia and NO3 levels are very low. Eg. NO3 is around 0,01 ppm.

As far as I consider there are two types of zero (or very low) nutrient. In the first one the excess nutrient is very quickly consumed with no or below detection level left-over. In the second one there is no nutrient at all. In both case our tests are showing 0, however at the first one the tank is thriving while at the second one it is dying.

7. Lack of certain trace elements (or/and light) is a bigger issue than low nutrient
I have no scientific proof but I think that sometimes higher nutrient levels solve some coral related issue such as growth or/and colors not because the lack of nutrient was a real issue but because the lack of certain key trace elements (and light) did not allow the coral perform efficiently at a lower level nutrient level.

Here are the scientific papers I gathered over years related to may thoughts above:

Nitrate increases zooxanthellae population density and reduces skeletogenesis in corals

The population dynamics of symbiotic zooxanthellae in the coral Pocillopora damicornis exposed to elevated ammonium (NH4Cl) concentrations.

3. About how NO3 and NH4 makes coral brown and how PO4+NO3 or PO4+NH4 makes them even more while PO4 alone not:
The Effect of External Nutrient Resources on the Population Dynamics of Zooxanthellae in a Reef Coral

At point 7 above I said "Lack of certain trace elements (or/and light) is a bigger issue than low nutrient" But how?

When I had my first ICP done I thought that adding some trace elements as it was recommend will do magic, and the next day my SPS corals will be 2x more colorful :) But in reality it just made problems. Whenever I patched my tank with occasional dosage of trace elements, especially when I pulled up a value from 0 to NSW I rather noticed some weird algae or bacterial slime appearing than color improvement.

I'm a big believer of NSW values, so I decided to design a solution for maintaining NSW trace element levels as opposed to achieve them just for a few moments every once in awhile.

So I tested my tank water every 30 days for 4 months. By the end of this period I knew exactly what was needed on a daily bases to offset my tank consumption. I know that Triton does not recommend us to mix different traces into one but I thought - even though I have very limited knowledge about chemistry - that I will make my own patch for the Base Elements to be dosed like the "5th" component of the balling 24/7. To avoid precipitation and degradation of elements I decided to use high dilution and mix elements in an amount which will not last longer than a week.

Even though I thought that I really did something "revolutionary" coral colors did not significantly improved.
I had low nutrient, close to NSW level stable trace elements, rock stable Kh, salinity, etc. What else could be missing?
Since I had 6x54W Ati Powermodul over my 120x45x45 (cm) tank I have never thought that light will be ever an issue.
But it was.
I think that certain trace elements (including especially manganese and iron) make zooxanthellae thrive at low nutrient as well. The host corals have no interest to lower their amount as long as they get what they want: sugar. The only way to convince the corals to expel some of their simbionts if they are sure to get the same amount of sugar. The key here is light. More light increases the performance of zooxanthellae so the coral needs less of them.

Now I have: 4x Ati BluePlus + 2x Ati TrueActinic + 72W 4000K SMD LED strip + 60W 400nm SMD LED (app 15.000 lumen, with a very likely higher PUR due to more 400-440nm light, and a much even spectrum for chromoproteins to encourage red and yellow colors)

SIZE MATTERS

The final learning which I wanted to share with you her is that I think that refugium is about size. Not necessarily in metric volume but in footprint for sure. Algae need light, so depth is counterproductive, and since algae has a key role in both feeding our corals and controlling bacterial activity we need to have a lot. If the "glucose" theory is really working it is very likely happening in the nano-molar end of the scale so a handful of Chaeto will not make any difference in a tank.

I also recommend you to start with a significant amount of algae and with several different species. If you start growing a small ball of Chateo alone - especially in a matured tank like mine was - it may take 6 months to reach something. Of course I also started with a small ball of Chaeto alone, which did not do too much in the first 2 months except slow growing. So I started adding new species and I also increased the amount of the well performing species GRADUALLY (E.g in my case non of the Caulerpa species worked but Ulva and especially red Gracilaria started growing like weed)

Triton suggests that the biodiversity of the refugium is important from the nutrient consumption point of view but I also think - as the first algae study revealed for me - that it is important from the "exudate" composition point of view as well. Not glucose is the only carbohydrate which is released by algae, and on top of carbohydrates they release proteins as well. It is very likely that the different algae species release different mix of these organic matters.

STABILITY

I used to have coral colors like this with the Zeovit system as well. The difference is that within the Zeovit world I was not able to maintain the results and I had my tank crashed 2x (STN, fading, no growth, cyano, etc) In both cases my tank started showing "the signs" within 1-2 months after the corals had reached their beauty peek.

HARDWARES

Salinity must be checked frequently. I recommend you to buy a lab grade conductivity meter instead of a refractometer. It will help you to evaluate you RO/DI water as well. I use: Greisinger GLF100

PHOTOS

Disclaimer:
- the corals are not recently bought corals and especially not from a fresh import
- I used 4000k LED light to take the photos with my iPhone SE and I added some saturation and sharpness in Photoshop

IMG_4384.jpg IMG_4385.jpg IMG_4386.jpg IMG_4387.jpg IMG_4388.jpg IMG_4389.jpg IMG_4390.jpg IMG_4391.jpg IMG_4392.jpg IMG_4393.jpg IMG_4394.jpg IMG_4395.jpg IMG_4396.jpg

lovely post :)

In the end, you keeping dosing any other trace elements? or stoped

regards

Scott Campbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wonderful post! I also agree that algae growth is critically important. Oddly enough I have tried to grow nearly every type of algae possible over the last 30 years. Both in the main tank and in a linked algae refugium (which for many years was just a giant plastic tub with grow lights). A forum post once described my main tank as an "abandoned lot overgrown with weeds". :) But fish and corals always did well. I never had much luck with turf scrubbers and came to believe turf scrubbers too narrowly selected certain types of algae. I never tried to discourage the growth of any kind of algae in the linked algae refugium. Any algae was good algae. What I discovered over the years was that certain macro algae growth paralleled good coral growth (i.e. halimeda algae) while other macro algae grew best when my corals did not (i.e. feather caulerpa). But I could never figure out if different types of algae growth contributed to good coral growth or was simply a reflection of the water quality at the time. I generally assumed there were deficiencies of certain trace elements that encouraged or discouraged particular macro algae which also affected coral growth positively or negatively. Your post makes me think the situation is more complicated. Perhaps certain macro algae are also more helpful to corals than other macro algae. Or maybe the mix of algae plays a role. Interesting observations! BTW I also absolutely agree that urchins are the best!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Hybrid Triton system with reduced algae elements via the Core7 "Other Methods." I believe that the other formula (Core7 "Triton Methods") is likely a bit potent for a young tank or a tank with a small refugium. Why not just run the "Other Methods" formula in the beginning and make the switch over to the original formula later when the tank is much more established and able to take a punch?" If you examine the two formula's they are about the same. The only difference between the two is that one has a higher concentration of pro algae elements and the other has a much lower concentration. We'll according to Tim with Triton as I've sent him a few messages about it.

As far as the NO3 vs PO4 issue. I'm a believer that a reef needs some nutrients. It doesn't need a lot, but it does need some IMO. I've seen tanks with > Phosphates levels grow 2x faster than a tank that's starved of nutrients. Of course the corals are thin and brittle, but there's no question about it...they grew well in higher phosphate levels. I've personally had my coral completely brown out in levels over 0.4 or 0.5 ppm, but then I see tanks running at 2-3 ppm (Richard Ross) that look fine. Not the deepest colors out there, but overall they look great. I don't think I've seen two reef tanks that are exactly alike. Even when I personally set them up the exact same way. I like to run my PO4 between 0.03 and 0.05 ppm. I feel this is a great place for me. I also believe that NO3 needs to be detectable. I have the best results when the number is between 2 and 5 ppm. I personally shoot for about 4 or 5ppm. Dosing products like KNO3 via "Spectracide Stump Remover" as mentioned above do indeed work, but must be used with extreme caution and dosed SUUUUUUPER slow. A little goes a long way. Trust me, I found that out the hard way. Yes, when the tank is absent of nutrients and you flood the water column with a little KNO3- it's very likely you will start growing Cyano for a while. The NO3/ PO4 ratio needs to balance and if you're not careful you might end up with a big mess.

Szathmary, thanks for the write up and for tweaking my brain. Now I have a headache. I always love it when people challenge things. I question a lot of things myself until I learn the way they function. One thing is certain... when you examine the tanks of the masters they all have detectable NO3/PO4 levels. Yes, I took the numbers from Mike's articles and crunched them. The averages I got are very close to these numbers listed below. The NO3 came out high because one or two guys had high NO3 when I did the averages. So excluding those few numbers, the NO3 average would have been much lower I believe.

ALK: 8.26
CAL: 418
MAG: 1371
NO3: 19.9
PO4: .045
SR: 8.5

Below is a picture of my tank at 4 months old now. I run my parameters very close to the numbers above. Except I've already told you guys I target a NO3 of about 4 0r 5 ppm. So far, the tank seems to be doing well. Works for me. Anyway, happy reefing!

033A0285-417A-4BFA-A7A2-670A7727BBC3_zpsoinsnkyf.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

THE "SWEET" SEA WATER

What do they suggest?

But it was.

SIZE MATTERS

STABILITY

HARDWARES

PHOTOS

Disclaimer:

Problem being many people have tanks like this without the 'triton method'. Granted you're doing something right - but - other methods must be doing something right as well or am I a fool?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back