Is 350PAR too high for acros?

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've rented a PAR meter because my acros have been really acting up lately. Two have completely bleached, while others are losing color quickly. At first I was thinking it was nutrients maybe? They dropped really low when I went on a 7 day vacation. Maybe even bottomed out for a day or two. So I started feeding more to bring up nutrients over the last few days and got my Phosphates where I want them .07. Nitrates are still a little low (1ppm) but I am working on bringing them up.

I have them at 350-400 PAR (where I ordered them says they keep them at ~400 so I figured it couldn't be that. Think it's my nutrients dropping? No other major changes took place.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep several at well over 600 par so I would say that your par level is not the issue. Now it may be a lighting issue, what lights are you using and how high above the water do you have your fixture at? Also what kind if lights are you running and what lights were they being kept under?

OP
OP
mbarber87

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep several at well over 600 par so I would say that your par level is not the issue. Now it may be a lighting issue, what lights are you using and how high above the water do you have your fixture at? Also what kind if lights are you running and what lights were they being kept under?
I have a T5 combo with 2 Kessil ap9x. The kessils are at about 30-35% intensity, 9in off the water surface. I've had these lights for 2 1/2 months, without changes. Every other coral is doing spectacular minus the SPS/Acros.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. Few can keep acropora under LED much higher than that, but some with good spread/blending and long acclimation times can. T5 and MH people can nearly always keep them at twice that, or more, if they want.

P at .07 and N at 1.0 is no issue. Residual levels are mostly fools gold for corals. If you stopped feeding when you were on vacation, then you could have truly kept available building blocks from them, which can be a problem.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen par levels up to almost 1000 growing acros in a well established tank. I also have had a red planet be green with red polyps growing happily in about 150 par.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back