Is 5mm overhang on pico a problem?

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the thing, my stand is 400mm wide and the pico tank I want to buy is 405mm with 5mm glass thickness.

So over hang would be 2.5mm on each side.

Only 6 gallon tank.

Would that be a problem?

Thanks

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the thing, my stand is 400mm wide and the pico tank I want to buy is 405mm with 5mm glass thickness.

So over hang would be 2.5mm on each side.

Only 6 gallon tank.

Would that be a problem?

Thanks
Highly doubt it with a tank of such low weight, but I hear your concern.

what you could do is put the pico on a piece of wood or polycarbonate, acrylic, Masonite etc and this way the weight of the tank is supported by the material under, and then that layer is on the stand. The extra layer would disperse the weight of the tank and keep direct pressure from being put on the tanks glass/seams.

Have the material cut to be the exact footprint of the picos base

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not structurally, but it could be easier to catch something on as you brush past, which may still be less safe than if your base was the same size or larger.

You may be able to put a strip of wood on the back side (or similar) and screw/glue it into place flush with the top, preventing you from needing an overhang and staying enough out of sight that you don't really need to finish it to match the rest of the stand.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not structurally, but it could be easier to catch something on as you brush past, which may still be less safe than if your base was the same size or larger.

You may be able to put a strip of wood on the back side (or similar) and screw/glue it into place flush with the top, preventing you from needing an overhang and staying enough out of sight that you don't really need to finish it to match the rest of the stand.
The issue is width not depth. It sounds too big horizontally

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he wants it flush would be 3/32. Or maybe just run the bead of glue and let it drip over :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I was picturing a little “bumper” going around the tank but the amount needed is so small, a bead of glue would be all that’s needed to fill the gap lol.

Maybe get some black yarn and hot glue it in place

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sit on on a 1/2" sheet of plywood and get some edge banding to match whatever it sits on. It's iron on and in the shelf section at menards.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back