Is 7 Alkalinity okay?

SquidySpecs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about a week old and the water test stated it has an alkalinity of 7. Is this alkalinity okay for a softie reef? Will this number rise over time on its own or will I have to add something to increase it?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is fine. It will decrease overtime as calcifying organisms take carbonate/bicarbonate out of the water. 7 is considered the minimum in general. Water changes and dosing will raise it, with dosing being way more cost efficient. What salt do you use?

OP
OP
SquidySpecs

SquidySpecs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is fine. It will decrease overtime as calcifying organisms take carbonate/bicarbonate out of the water. 7 is considered the minimum in general. Water changes and dosing will raise it, with dosing being way more cost efficient. What salt do you use?
Thank you for your response! I actually got my saltwater from my local fish store so I'll have to ask them what salt they use.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about a week old and the water test stated it has an alkalinity of 7. Is this alkalinity okay for a softie reef? Will this number rise over time on its own or will I have to add something to increase it?
The only things to test in a week old tank are ammonia and nitrate.

OP
OP
SquidySpecs

SquidySpecs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria in actual live rock should convert ammonia into nitrate. Where did your rock come from, and what ammonia source have you added?
I got my rock from my fish store as well as some snails and hermit crabs. I had gotten them thinking my cycle was already in motion and that they would contribute to it. Any waste or decaying matter should become ammonia for nitrifying bacteria to convert correct?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my rock from my fish store as well as some snails and hermit crabs. I had gotten them thinking my cycle was already in motion and that they would contribute to it. Any waste or decaying matter should become ammonia for nitrifying bacteria to convert correct?
Correct, and this will show up as measurable nitrate. What test are you using?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also been getting tests from my fish store (its less than 5 minutes away from me) I haven't tested since I've added the animals, I will tomorrow.
Please invest in a decent nitrate test. You can use a cheaper ammonia test like API, since you won't need to test ammonia after the tank is cycled.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the tests stores use unreliable?
Possibly, but the point is, you really need to be able to test some things yourself, assuming you plan to have the tank running long term. There is SO MUCH MORE that happens in a new tank than just the initial nitrogen cycle.
As for the test the store uses, here is my thinking:
1. The test may or may not be reliable
2. The person doing the test may or may not run it correctly
3. Different people might do the test each time
4. If you do your own testing, even if your procedure is off a little, you likely will follow the same process each time so your test results will still tell you if something is increasing or decreasing.

Plus, in an emergency, it's always good to be able to test the water yourself rather than have to wait until the fish store is open.

OP
OP
SquidySpecs

SquidySpecs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, but the point is, you really need to be able to test some things yourself, assuming you plan to have the tank running long term. There is SO MUCH MORE that happens in a new tank than just the initial nitrogen cycle.
As for the test the store uses, here is my thinking:
1. The test may or may not be reliable
2. The person doing the test may or may not run it correctly
3. Different people might do the test each time
4. If you do your own testing, even if your procedure is off a little, you likely will follow the same process each time so your test results will still tell you if something is increasing or decreasing.

Plus, in an emergency, it's always good to be able to test the water yourself rather than have to wait until the fish store is open.
That all makes sense, thank you for your responses I appreciate the help!

OP
OP
SquidySpecs

SquidySpecs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please invest in a decent nitrate test. You can use a cheaper ammonia test like API, since you won't need to test ammonia after the tank is cycled.
Alright I've tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I've got .25ppm of ammonia and 0 of the other two. Should I wait and see if this ammonia converts or should I do a water change? Should I add seachem prime to help make this ammonia less toxic?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I've tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I've got .25ppm of ammonia and 0 of the other two. Should I wait and see if this ammonia converts or should I do a water change? Should I add seachem prime to help make this ammonia less toxic?
You. Need. Nitrate. To. Know. You're. Cycled.

DO NOT rely on Prime to detoxify ammonia -- IT DOESN'T.

Do not do a water change while cycling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back