Is a 40g breeder tank a safer option than my JBJ 45?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a flat pane JBJ 45 on the stock stand. The tank wobbles from things such as my dogs jumping off my bed next it which makes me rather nervous. I currently have the front shimmed to keep it level. Im wondering if a 40 breeder would be a better bet; the stand will have ~11% increased surface area, have a lower center of gravity, and be a little lighter (given not much). Plus, as an afterthought, the fact my display would increase does sound nice. Can anyone offer any advice here? Heres a pic of my current setup and the stand I keep in my basement -

is this a safer option or is the difference in likelihood to have 40+ gallons of water on my floor the same with either setup? Or is this a case of I definitely need to just move the tank?

IMG_1141.JPG IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1144.JPG tempImagefver6U.png
Edit: the other stand option I was thinking about was a diy one like this E80E78A6-EF5F-463C-9575-A49B837245C7.png

Last edited:

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your tank wobbles from a dog jumping nearby? I think that's more than enough of a reason to replace it. It's a disaster just waiting to happen.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40b is a better setup. Check it if you can drill for a overflow. Very easy to do.
that was actually my original plan when I purchased the tank and stand. Property owners said no drilling tanks or sumps lol

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean its not really your tank thats doing this. Its how you have it setup with the stand. The fix is to just get a new stand that is solid. Whether you use a 40b or your current tank, doesn't make a difference. Get a new stand and make sure its solidly on the floor all the way around and level and that issue goes away.

Addictedreefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon breeder is the best bang for your buck imo. Easy to drill too if you cant drill it, Fiji sells a aio add on fitted for a 40b. Pretty sure brs carries it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank here is not the issue, the stand is the issue. It makes no difference the surface area or center of gravity if you don't have a level surface for your tank to sit on.

You need to ensure the top of your stand is not warped, then level the tank in both planes, by shimming the feet of the stand. There should be Absolutely zero wobble. It doesn't matter what glass box you have on top of it, If the stand is warped or rocking, You are begging for disaster.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank here is not the issue, the stand is the issue. It makes no difference the surface area or center of gravity if you don't have a level surface for your tank to sit on.

You need to ensure the top of your stand is not warped, then level the tank in both planes, by shimming the feet of the stand. There should be Absolutely zero wobble. It doesn't matter what glass box you have on top of it, If the stand is warped or rocking, You are begging for disaster.
Thank you! The tank is shimmed and is level in all directions - I check monthly. I (unintentionally) have two leveling mats underneath the tank on top of the stand.

I suppose that leaves the stand being warped? It doesn’t seem to be visibly warped, but would I have to remove the tank to definitively see? Thank you

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The tank is shimmed and is level in all directions - I check monthly. I (unintentionally) have two leveling mats underneath the tank on top of the stand.

I suppose that leaves the stand being warped? It doesn’t seem to be visibly warped, but would I have to remove the tank to definitively see? Thank you
Definitively yes you would need to remove the tank to see if the stand is warped or not. If you have two leveling mats under it, I would believe it has good contact to the stand.

Shimming the base of the stand, then using CA glue to hold them where you put it should stop all rocking.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back