Is a 55 gallon tank large enough for a Coral Beauty Angelfish?

Basic reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been doing a ton of research on what size tank these fish should have. I have heard a lot of people have success with keeping them in 30 gallon tanks. I was wondering though if it would get super aggressive if its put in a 55 gallon tank. I love this fish but I want to provide it with the proper care to make sure that it has the best life. I am getting a captive bred one. Idk if that makes any difference or not.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s too small. At least 75 gallons, 4 foot would be ideal. If you want a dwarf in a 55 (most likely 3 foot long tank) the Pygmy angels would serve you better. That’s Atlantic Cherub, African Flameback, Fisher’s, Brazilian Flameback, Pacific Pygmy etc.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 55 is a 4 foot tank, it's just pretty thin. If you really like the fish and keep the tank lightly stocked, it could work. As long as you scaped the tank with open rockwork and open swim areas. Choose tankmates carefully and ones that are not similar. I like lightly stocked tanks, for me if this was a favorite fish, I'd have him with maybe 2 more fish and call it. The problem most people would try and do a half dozen fish with a coral beauty in that tank, and that's not going to work. And yes a captive bred variety will likely be a bit less aggressive and adapt to a captive environment better.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 55 is a 4 foot tank, it's just pretty thin. If you really like the fish and keep the tank lightly stocked, it could work. As long as you scaped the tank with open rockwork and open swim areas. Choose tankmates carefully and ones that are not similar. I like lightly stocked tanks, for me if this was a favorite fish, I'd have him with maybe 2 more fish and call it. The problem most people would try and do a half dozen fish with a coral beauty in that tank, and that's not going to work. And yes a captive bred variety will likely be a bit less aggressive and adapt to a captive environment better.

This for sure.

OP
OP
B

Basic reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I am just going to switch it out for a different fish just to make sure there are no issues with my stocking. I did have a plan for five other fish with it but I think it would be best not to do it. But if anyone knows if there are any Pygmy Angels that are captive bred please do let me know. From what I have seen there isn't any. I am doing all captive bred fish just to support sustainable ways of acquiring saltwater fish and because they are better adapted to aquarium life.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I am just going to switch it out for a different fish just to make sure there are no issues with my stocking. I did have a plan for five other fish with it but I think it would be best not to do it. But if anyone knows if there are any Pygmy Angels that are captive bred please do let me know. From what I have seen there isn't any. I am doing all captive bred fish just to support sustainable ways of acquiring saltwater fish and because they are better adapted to aquarium life.
Live aquaria has the pygymy flame back angels and pygmy cherub angels for sale frequently, on their divers den section, from ORA
A few available right now

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back