Is a Aquaclear 70 HOB a good filter for a 35 gallon rimless tank?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quick answer knowing nothing else would be, "probably good"
...but it's a pretty open question with lots of variables.

FWIW, I like the Seachem Tidal line due to the self-priming nature (pump in tank) but no experience with the Aquaclear, although people seem to like them.

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an AQ110 on my 55 gallon and it works great, so as long as you have the appropriate amount of live rock it’s a great option…after a few months of seeing what worked best I have settled on using the stock foam with filter floss added to the top of it and a chemi-pure blue bag for my media. I also have a HOB skimmer and between the skimmer, the foam/floss and the chemi-pure my parameters stay right where I want them and water is crystal clear.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Tetra Whisper Filters. They are super easy to clean, cheap, last a long time, they have bio-foam filter and a Dacron Double layer bag, in a reusable support. You can put charcoal in the bag or other chemical media. You can reuse the Dacron bag, for several times after rinsing.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just recently got gifted a 35 gallon rimless tank and was wondering if I put a Fluval Aquaclear 70 would it be a good filter?
I like the aquaclear filters. One issues is that if you take out the sponge to clean it, if you over-do it you can decrease your beneficial bacteria. IMO - the best option is a sump - but you can consider this filter a very small sump:).

PS - it is also difficult to add a skimmer etc except a hang on back - which some people do not like aesthetically. Good luck with your new tank

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got gifted a 35 gallon rimless tank and was wondering if I put a Fluval Aquaclear 70 would it be a good filter?
Yes, the Hagan Aquaclear 70 is an excellent HOB. On several systems, I fill box up with rubble and use as a high flow zooplankton reactor.

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option would be to use the aquaclear and throw a nano-skimmer into it. I use an AC110 with a Bubble Magus miniQ skimmer. The footprint of the 110 allows me to place the skimmer while still having real estate for the foam block and media.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back