Is a CUC in a fuge normal?

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not a whole cleanup crew but in my refugium stage of the sump I have LR and Chaeto but I was wondering if people toss a snail down there to do some light cleaning or not?

I can't find much info on this so I feel like maybe it's common sense to not and it's just not obvious to me.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people will often banish a crab to the sump. I can't think adding an emerald crab or something would be terrible.

Honestly -- I don't have a 'fuge, but I do have a sump that is littered with spaghetti worms, baby trochus snails, and Asterina / Micro brittle stars. They breed and just end up down there and end up with plenty to eat.

If I had a fuge, I'm sure there would be twice as many, and I would be happy to add a crab or two.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a couple of snails in mine too.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say do as you think is fitting for the situation. If there's some unwanted algae there, a snail or two would take care of that. I have a large sump and use it to keep many CUC inhabitants. When I need more up in the DT, I just move them over. I don't think there's any specific methods per se. Maybe just try it and see?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have cerith snails because of the variety of what they eat.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say do as you think is fitting for the situation. If there's some unwanted algae there, a snail or two would take care of that. I have a large sump and use it to keep many CUC inhabitants. When I need more up in the DT, I just move them over. I don't think there's any specific methods per se. Maybe just try it and see?

LOL, try that with Trochus! No matter how many I move to the DT I keep finding babies in the sump. Little guys won't stop multiplying, i'm about to give away handfulls of 'em with frags pretty soon

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, try that with Trochus! No matter how many I move to the DT I keep finding babies in the sump. Little guys won't stop multiplying, i'm about to give away handfulls of 'em with frags pretty soon

That's awesome. I haven't seen them reproducing in my system yet.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome

Well, you say that.. But here's my Display right now -- Every little white spec is a baby lol
IMG_20171225_025405165.jpg

This one was a pic I was going to toss, it was the first time I noticed my baby snails were getting out of control
IMG_0069.jpg

I use to only have 5!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trochus are reproducing well but nothing like that! My only problem with snails in my refugium is it gives them access to the return chamber/pump.

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I move a few turbos into my sump now and then when gha starts to grow, then move them back to DT when everything is cleaned up. I haven’t been able to keep chaeto but I’m a pro at gha . Turbos do a great job, just don’t forget about them.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all sorts of snails and hermits in my fuge, along with a urchin. You can’t really see them in the picture, but this is what they help keep clean.

D6073429-16E9-4B62-832E-492351DCA94C.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back