Is a HOB Refugium practical for a 30g?

mlb7225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

So I am getting ready to set up my 30g JBJ tank for the 2nd time. I have a good amount of lessons learned from the first go round so I am excited to get going again.

One of my takeaways from previous was the difficulty in maintaining phosphates. I would dose phosphate reducers, run pellets, control feeding, etc. but was still having algae issues. This time I want to try a more natural phosphate reducer by running a refugium. It won't be practical for me to have a sump under my tank, so I started looking for other options. I came across CPR's HOB Aquafuge2 refugium for tanks like mine. I am having trouble though, trying to find reviews on these so wanted to reach out here to see if anyone has an opinion on this or better yet is actually running a HOB refugium. Any and all feedback will be great!

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the smallest one from CPR and I love it for the smaller tanks. The only drawback is the pump being in the tank and blocking light. So I stuck cyphastrea under the shadow. [emoji6]

CPR makes several that I've seen and used, I'd suggest the one with built in skimmer as I had to add one for co2 scrubbing.

OP
OP
mlb7225

mlb7225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the smallest one from CPR and I love it for the smaller tanks. The only drawback is the pump being in the tank and blocking light. So I stuck cyphastrea under the shadow. [emoji6]

CPR makes several that I've seen and used, I'd suggest the one with built in skimmer as I had to add one for co2 scrubbing.

Good point about the pump being in the actual tank. I need to look into that. I have a built in 'sump' in the back of my tank as it is the JBJ rimless model. I hope I can take the pump from the CPR model and place it into one of the baffles and fully submerged. I might have to put an extension pipe on it to reach??? I didn't see the CPR w/built in skimmer. I do love my Aquamax 1 HOB skimmer so will be hard to pull me away from that. ;)

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely use a HOB fuge, but honestly... I doubt this will make much of an impact on your nutrients alone. Typically you need a massive fuge to really export a lot of nutrients. I'd still set one up, but I'd run gfo, pellets, use RODI, avoid nutrient rich foods, etc... all on an as needed basis

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a CPR HOB refugium on my 29 gallon. I've certainly seen a huge boost in POD population since using it. I cannot say it helps with the stability of water and removal of wastes, but I sure like to think so! My tank is very happy and water seems to be very stable (knock on wood).

It also works great as a place to add GFO, Carbon, or other filtration additives.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run chaeto in sump area in the back of my 10 year old son's 5 gallon reef and it works great

OP
OP
mlb7225

mlb7225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a CPR HOB refugium on my 29 gallon. I've certainly seen a huge boost in POD population since using it. I cannot say it helps with the stability of water and removal of wastes, but I sure like to think so! My tank is very happy and water seems to be very stable (knock on wood).

It also works great as a place to add GFO, Carbon, or other filtration additives.

I love the point on the POD population. I love mandarins so that will be a plus.

OP
OP
mlb7225

mlb7225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run chaeto in sump area in the back of my 10 year old son's 5 gallon reef and it works great

I was actually looking at this on my first go round. I even bought the JBJ LED refug light for that purpose. I ended up running out of space between the chiller pump, return pumps, skimmer intake, etc. and couldn't see how I could keep chaeto in any specific area without it going everywhere.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually looking at this on my first go round. I even bought the JBJ LED refug light for that purpose. I ended up running out of space between the chiller pump, return pumps, skimmer intake, etc. and couldn't see how I could keep chaeto in any specific area without it going everywhere.
As I said I took my hob off, well I placed the chaeto and rubble rock in the spare media basket and put it in the middle chamber, that way it is maintained.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue that I foresee and have had with these has been surface skimming. If you have enough room you can use the skimmer attachments for canister filters that will fit inside the Rio pump intake. I don't have enough room in my little 5 1/2 gallon or I would've done that. I'll try to take some pictures later of a little set up that I've got so that you can see what I've got going on.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2336.JPG

Here's a not so good one. But you get the picture.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That purple light is a gift from the heavens. It makes the ph swing almost non existent when timed right.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend that the sump itself be supported if it's on a rimless or on a super small tank. This fuge is supposed to hold two gallons I believe and that's a lot of stress on glass and acrylic.

OP
OP
mlb7225

mlb7225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue that I foresee and have had with these has been surface skimming. If you have enough room you can use the skimmer attachments for canister filters that will fit inside the Rio pump intake. I don't have enough room in my little 5 1/2 gallon or I would've done that. I'll try to take some pictures later of a little set up that I've got so that you can see what I've got going on.

On my 30g JBJ it has 2 built in overflows which fall into the small sump located on the backside of the tank. This allows for surface skimming. My intention is to then attach the HOB refuge onto the back of the sump.

OP
OP
mlb7225

mlb7225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend that the sump itself be supported if it's on a rimless or on a super small tank. This fuge is supposed to hold two gallons I believe and that's a lot of stress on glass and acrylic.

I was thinking this too. The Aquafuge2 PS holds up to 4.5 g I believe. I will look at their install specs to see what thickness of glass they 'prefer' the HOB be installed on. Good point though, that is one failure I do not want to experience!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back