Is a PAR Meter Worth it

Koleswrath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rub here is that you can't really define "correctly".
under certain conditions it may give what looks like the same reading,

Thank you for your input into this thread! Wish I would've caught it earlier. Could have saved me a few hundred dollars.

On another note:
Anyone interested in a brand new Seneye Reef? No idea if it's anywhere near accurate but it shows some numbers. If it is accurate I don't know that those numbers correspond to anyone elses reported numbers so I don't know if I should raise or lower my light intensity. (Based on the BRS AI Prime videos I've been raising the intensity 7% per week and my corals are starting to color up. If I used the Seneye readings I would have left the light alone)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say most can do without easily.
I use mine to setup my lights to get a reference point of the spread and values of said light.
Most lights have alot of info on realative par measuements that reefers can use to get a basic idea on settings.
My par meter is usefull in setting up my new build. I am running 2 Reefbreeder 50's next to each other in my 60×30×22.
Their is no avaiable data on this setup so its needed, imo.
One of these put out alot of par so it will be useful in setting my par map as I know what range I want to be in.
Without it I would be unsure of the correct settings in my situation.
20240125_154210.jpg

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
which par meter do you guys recommend on buying/ renting? Was thinking about spending the cash to just straight out by one. Since I do plan to have multiple tanks in the future.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
which par meter do you guys recommend on buying/ renting? Was thinking about spending the cash to just straight out by one. Since I do plan to have multiple tanks in the future.
If you’re going to purchase get the Apogee MQ520. Seems to be the standard in hobbyist grade par meters

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back