Is a Pest and Contaminant Free Tank Really Doable for Hobbyist?

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched a bazillion videos about keeping my display pest and contaminant-free, but how practical is it?

• Live rock from the ocean or gulf?
  • No Coral quarantine? Dip and slip it in the tank?
  • One set of tools and tubs for water changes?
I do what I can to mitigate issues, but is it realistic for most hobbyists to keep a “sterile” marine tank? How many aquarists believe they have a strict protocol that supports a pest-free tank vs.. I do what I can.

Just wondering if I am on an Island of 1.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
impossible, imho. i'm convinced in some way shape or form something will inevitably make its way into your tank. QT'ing does significantly help but not everyone has the space, time, or patience to do this over the course of weeks or months.

those who have a "sterile" tank probably do things quarterly, every 6mo, or yearly. i see lots of posts of dosing interceptor amongst other things to eradicate or make sure something "does not come back" much like fluconozole, etc.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, its absolutely not possible for the average hobbyist to achieve that.

Our tanks and reefs in general are inherently NOT sterile. My own personal experience, and that of many others who have tried for that "sterile" tank is that you're more likely going to cause more issues than you solve by trying to be so sterile that only what you put in goes in.

Something WILL get in at some point. Its more about how to best mitigate those chances and then how to best deal with them when they inevitably do make it past your safety measures.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it is impossible for most, but not all. This is why I am more of a fish preparer than a fish quarantine guy.

Unless you have a coral QT for the entire fallow period, then there is no way to keep all fish diseases and pests out. You cannot use any tools or equipment between the systems and probably need to sterilize your arms if you work on both in the same day.

I think that most people just go through a standard copper or hypo QT and think that their tank is disease free, but it most likely is not... the fish are just strong enough to resist the diseases.

As for coral pests, bryopsis, aiptasia, hair, bubble all can slip through dips, long term QT, etc. so you just have to have things that eat them in your display. There is no way to keep these out, IMO.

Sterile tanks are breeding grounds for fish parasites - in established reefs, the microfauna on the rocks and sand will hunt and eat disease tomonts and theronts. Sterile rock and sand are the perfect place for dinos and hair algae to move in since their moving company is faster than any other type of thing.

I think that most folks have figure out that this is folly. It was all the rage a decade ago to buy dry/dead rock to avoid the "pests" but those people had more pest issues than people who got real live rock.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched a bazillion videos about keeping my display pest and contaminant-free, but how practical is it?

I do what I can to mitigate issues, but is it realistic for most hobbyists to keep a “sterile” marine tank? How many aquarists believe they have a strict protocol that supports a pest-free tank vs.. I do what I can.

No, I started with dry rock and already have aptasia, bristleworms, sponges, Asterina stars, spaghetti worms ect. I dip all my corals, Can't keep them out

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It depends on what do you mean by 'pests'. If you mean algae, etc - I don't think it's possible. Contaminants - yes - (but what exactly do you mean)? Toxins, Nitrates, PO4, etc.? As to parasites, yes - with proper biosecurity measures - which most people do not seem to want to do correctly. So it can be difficult

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Actually had this conversation last year with Than from @Tidal Gardens at RAP TX.
He's in agreement, that no matter how meticulous you are, you will still end up with some sort of "pest".

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally possible, within certain circumstances:
IMG_1779.jpeg

Rule 1. Don’t add water. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have I not seen you on R2R earlier! Is your Moorish idol still doing good?
Not super active on here but I try.
Unfortunately no. It was getting a bit outcompeted for food (ate like a champ but dang thing missed 3 of 4 attempts to grab food) so I transferred it to my new Nyos tank to fatten up. Jumped out the very first night :/
Never would have figured that that would be an issue.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not super active on here but I try.
Unfortunately no. It was getting a bit outcompeted for food (ate like a champ but dang thing missed 3 of 4 attempts to grab food) so I transferred it to my new Nyos tank to fatten up. Jumped out the very first night :/
Never would have figured that that would be an issue.
That's tough, sorry to hear that. On another topic, are the orange spot filefish still doing good?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think first you have to define pest as one man's pest might be a welcome addition in another's tank..
So many critters are considered as pests when they really aren't a big issue IMO. Only a pest if they cause a problem of some sort.

Last edited:

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank has no ich, velvet, etc, coral pests, or aptasia. 2.5 years. I quarantine everything correctly. Got lucky on aptasia and I do have a couple million vermetide snails. I haven’t added a single thing to my tank in over a year, because it’s a pain in the butt doing everything the right way. Got everything I ever wanted in the tank, free of all the pest I care about, and now I just enjoy it. Wasn’t easy, but totally worth it.

Attachments

• 6CA3F721-DC27-48F1-B2F5-4EFB62560FF6.jpeg
    6CA3F721-DC27-48F1-B2F5-4EFB62560FF6.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 61
  • BDDB564E-DE50-4709-8790-2FF13B941108.jpeg
    BDDB564E-DE50-4709-8790-2FF13B941108.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 57

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back