Custom 300g tank! Need advice

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
This is the photo from the previous owner but I bought this 300 gallon tank 2 months ago. I got it at such a great price that it was basically stolen Its double what i have now and know ive bitten off more than i can chew so im taking it very slow. I just couldnt turn down such an amazing offer/opportunity. Ive spent the last few weeks doing all of prep work like the re-doing all the plumbing, lighting, cleaning etc. but haven't gotten to the sump part of it yet. That sits under the tank

I plan to keep it solely coral for at least 3-6 months and MAYBE add one fish per month (after its finished the quarantine phase). I already have two seperate 150g tanks. One is strictly coral and the other is coral/fish. I also have a 50 gallon QT and a 40g breeder tank.

Its 5 feet wide. I am only 5 feet tall Once i get things in here, im honestly not sure how Im going to deal with anything near the middle I will start designing my rockscapes next week and was trying to debate how i should do it. This is quite different from a traditional rectangular tank so I was wondering, should i do a big island in the middle and then several smaller islands around that? Or maybe one massive island that spreads out towards the outer edge?

Im going super slow because the holidays had me stressed and i wasnt ready to take on this project yet because im an overthinker and overplanner. Trying to visualize in my head where i want everything but its overwhelming. Please... Help me think! What would you do first if this was your tank? How would you arrange the rockscape? Any advice for the tank, sump, etc. Feel free to talk out loud so my brain can be overstimulated with tips, ideas and advice on everything to avoid.

Thank you!

Screenshot_20231130_150726_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231130_144338_Facebook.jpg

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your idea of a larger center island and smaller aquascapes around it that allow for easy viewing to the center. Whatever you decide will be spectacular. Good luck and keep us posted.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back