Is a powder blue Tang at a LFS worth more $$$ than online?

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a powder blue Tang at a LFS for $300+. The fish is almost 6 inches long. From LADD they are usually $150. I have dealt with this LFS before, they have QT'd the fish. And I saw the fish eating frozen food. Is peice of mind worth the price difference for this particular fish?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several factors that can increase the price of a fish, your location, size of the fish, if it has unusual colors etc. peace of mind would be one of the factors as well. Especially more delicate species

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's a heavy margin they are building in to price it at $300, but if the fish is impeccable you may feel the convenience is worth it.

IMO, I would not pay that much for a powder blue, but I would pay more than online prices for a healthy fish I can inspect in person. $150 is about right, even at a LFS, possibly $200 for an extremely healthy fish that has been properly quarantined already and eating frozen.

I don't know your market though, so it's possible that people "will" pay that kind of markup, and if so, good for the LFS. Personally I think they'd take less if you made a fair offer. Hope that helps.

-Ed

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, *yes*!

I realize that not everyone will feel that way.

For a PITA fish, decent size, happy on frozen, fully QT.

Yes, money can buy happiness.
Or at least a nice, healthy fish.
There's a powder blue Tang at a LFS for $300+. The fish is almost 6 inches long. From LADD they are usually $150. I have dealt with this LFS before, they have QT'd the fish. And I saw the fish eating frozen food. Is peice of mind worth the price difference for this particular fish?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that price the sucker better be captive bred. I love the looks of a Powder Blue but $300 is a heck of a risk on a fish that is so prone to ich.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck no.... DD fish are typically quality, and they back that up with a real money back guarantee for two weeks. 14 days, no fuss, no guilt, they will take care of you. The LFSs around here (including LA’s owner Petco, has 0 guarantee on store sold live stock, but a 30 day if you order online, crazy, I know) mostly have no guarantee, or a five day half guarantee, or a wink, we will work with you if we need to, which means god knows what... and they want the body physically back, and they want water samples, so another hour round trip if it happens, so you can do the walk of shame and plead your case. I buy occasionally from LFS, but never expensive and/or fish known to be difficult to acclimate anymore. It’s not worth it.

I just made this choice with blue star leopard wrasses. LFS was 70 bucks, LA (not divers den) was 38. LFS no guarantee, not on sand bed, not eating. So I got two for the price of one with a 14 day guarantee, and both are doing great three weeks later.

Ymmv, maybe you’ve got a stellar LFS with a super duper guarantee right next door. Idk. I’ve been burned a few times over the years.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that double the price for a full Quarantined and acclimated fish is reasonable. Granted around here LFS price for a Powder Blue is $80.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chance would I pay that.

They are 59$ for a 3" on LA right now.... with a 14 day guarantee.

As always, qt the fish yourself.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely if you are going to QT the fish yourself and are set up to do so and have faith in your skills by all means the cheapest option and safest would be to QT the fish yourself.

However I know lots of people who can't have or don't want to have a QT set-up and who don't want to be bothered with it. I work full time in a LFS. I would say maybe 5% of my customers have a QT tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 71.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back