Is a reef octo 1000 too much for my biocube?

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, been running a reef octo classic 1000 on my biocube 32. Its been a process to get it to skim as it breaks in. But I noticed the water is cloudy now, is that normal for a few days? Maybe its microbubbles? I don't see many bubbles coming out of the skimmer though. Taking pics in a few mins once lights come on

OP
OP
lordthaxto

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How stocked is your tank?

It’s usually best (in my experience) to have a skimmer rated less than or at your tank volume

Currently 1 hermit, 2 snails, 3 peppermint shrimp, 2 clowns, 1 firefish goby. I plan to add more once I get a lid for my biocube ( removed stock lid to add red sea 90leds ). I have 6 medium size coral as well.

I turned the skimmer off about 2 hours ago, and the water has not cleared up much. So wondering if its just a bacteria bloom. Might grab a UV filter today to see if that changes things. I do weekly water changes, and the tank is newish.

As of Sunday params were perfect ( tested by LFS ). And my bio load has not changed from last week, and my home test show less than the first color on nitrate ( zero nitrite, and zero ammonia ).

Any idea how long it takes for actual micro bubbles to clear up? because physically, I cant see these bubble ( if they are bubbles ). Could just be a bacteria bloom

OP
OP
lordthaxto

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for bad quality, need to get a filter for this blue light. But I don't actually see bubbles, it just happen to get cloudy after adding the skimmer and doing a water change at the same time. Took the skimmer maybe 3 hours to start producing

And with it staying kinda cloudy still. Starting to lean towards bloom due to 5 gallon water change, and adding 1.5gallons to volume with skimmer

OP
OP
lordthaxto

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that skimmer is overkill for your low stocked tank.
I had a feeling, but at least I have a decent skimmer I can upgrade with :)

So far it has started skimming again, and the water cleared up ( only did a small water change yesterday of 2 gallons).

I had to swap out my sump pump, so the change was inevitable. But I did let me clean out the back area of the white stuff from the sand, so maybe that helped some.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back