Is a Reef Tank Really The Same As The Ocean?

Reefer Matt

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2021
Messages
11,237
Reaction score
42,946
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of times we compare our tanks to the ocean, and why not? But are these glass boxes really the same, or should we be treating them as something else? I always wonder how much of the chemistry, lighting, and flow really translates from the ocean to our tiny tanks in comparison. What do you think?

Marine Life Ocean GIF by BBC
 
A lot of times we compare our tanks to the ocean, and why not? But are these glass boxes really the same, or should we be treating them as something else? I always wonder how much of the chemistry, lighting, and flow really translates from the ocean to our tiny tanks in comparison. What do you think?

Marine Life Ocean GIF by BBC
Great question! I have often wondered the same. In my rookie opinion, I don't think we can ever really duplicate the incredibly complex eco system that is the world's oceans, but there is no doubt this hobby has advanced leaps and bounds towards getting as close as we can. I look forward to what this amazing world of a box of ocean in our homes develops next!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new