Is a reserve tank REALLY needed for a RODI system?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI system is mounted under my sink, with the DI filter separated. system is setup as: 5 stage-> reserve tank-> split off to Drinking water spout and DI filter-> hose for tank.
the reserve tank on ly holds 2 gal at a time and ALWAYS runs out and then trickles into my 5 Gal ATO tank.
SO, I wanted to take off the reserve tank. is that something that I can do or will it screw up the entire system?

Last edited:

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would suggest that you DONT send water from pressure tank to DI at all, it should be trickled, because pressure from tank makes water flow too fast through the DI canister and you dont get the full effect of it. For drinking i would keep the tank, cause without the tank you would need to wait like 5 minutes before a glass of water is full.

Thats the setup i have, DI is trickled at normal speed.
Drinking water is provided through the pressure tank.

you will need to add a check valve between tank and filter, so that water can only flow from filter to tank and never the other way.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI system is mounted under my sink, with the DI filter separated. system is setup as: 5 stage-> reserve tank-> split off to Drinking water spout and DI filter-> hose for tank.
the reserve tank on ly holds 2 gal at a time and ALWAYS runs out and then trickles into my 5 Gal ATO tank.
SO, I wanted to take off the reserve tank. is that something that I can do or will it screw up the entire system?
Per the above, I would probably split off to drinking water/DI filter and place the reserve tank on the drinking water line only.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back