Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with pocci. They tend to reproduce and get everywhere. I don't believe Stylos do that.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for it , you never know until you try it , I will say you can make this easier by picking a very long established strain which will be very forgiving with alk and nute swings , dont have to have the best light / flow ect, I would suggest ORA Red Planet , or GARF Bonzai to start with , these have been in hobby for over 20yrs of aquaculture and are very very very resiliant and can be had for pretty cheap between 20 -45 dollars for a good frag , also look for a fully encrusted frag growing over the base , never buy fresh cuts in putty its a suckers bet. and its easier than ya think , good luck !!!

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a salifert alk test. Buy some corals. Give it a try. You will need to maintain alk, ca, and mag. You will also need a good coral dip, one that will kill red bug and flatworms. I use bayer. How ever there are some vendors I will buy from and put straight in the tank including the water. They cost more, but in my opinion the corals are in fantastic shape when you get them.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at purple tip granulosa and shortcake variety I think they were. Do you think those would be okay?

I’m fairly experienced and I’ve never really been successful with granulosas. Shortcakes really grow for some people....I’m not one of those people. I don’t kill them, but the take forever to grow for me.

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for it , you never know until you try it , I will say you can make this easier by picking a very long established strain which will be very forgiving with alk and nute swings , dont have to have the best light / flow ect, I would suggest ORA Red Planet , or GARF Bonzai to start with , these have been in hobby for over 20yrs of aquaculture and are very very very resiliant and can be had for pretty cheap between 20 -45 dollars for a good frag , also look for a fully encrusted frag growing over the base , never buy fresh cuts in putty its a suckers bet. and its easier than ya think , good luck !!!
+1 on the Garf Bonsai. It was the first acro I bought and still doing really well after 8 months.
I have even bought another frag of it.
Also, millepora seem to be a little bit more forgiving of mistakes as well.
The acros that have done best for me have all been fragged from a display tank at my lfs. I don't think that that is a coincidence.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, getting one acro is like getting a taste of a new amazing drug. Itll become a whole new level of addiction. The hobby in and of itself is addicting (and probably more expensive than a drug addiction) but once you get into acropora it's a whole new ballgame... you have been warned... now here try this.. lol.

Jump in. The waters fine..

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, must of us end up like this guy.

86C233E7-6A48-4A4A-92E1-3A46ABDC793A.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back