Is all 0-10v the same?

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 0-10v control just that? Controlling voltage?

If so can a 0-10v output intended for a DC controllable pump also control dimming lights?

For instance, if I have an Aquatic Life DX18 dimmable T5 fixture hooked up to a CoralVue Hydros Wave Engine via the 0-10v breakout cable can I use that to control the fixture?

Thanks!

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. A 0-10v devise use the 0-10v input to adjust speed or brightness. 0v being low, or slow 10v being high, or fast. It doesn't matter what produces the 0-10v signal. One of the things that makes the 0-10v protocall so universal.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GHL P4. I have 2 Maxspect 250’s with the icecap controllers. I have them connected to 2 of my illumination channels. The cool thing is I can utilize the cloud feature. So if my speed is set to 10Vdc or 100%, the cloud feature is set to lower the speed a maximum of 20%. Since the cloud feature is random, it automatically changes the pump speed for me.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 0-10v control just that? Controlling voltage?

If so can a 0-10v output intended for a DC controllable pump also control dimming lights?

For instance, if I have an Aquatic Life DX18 dimmable T5 fixture hooked up to a CoralVue Hydros Wave Engine via the 0-10v breakout cable can I use that to control the fixture?

Thanks!

Yup, it’s kind of a universal method of control. 0-10v = 0-100% output.

There are some weird limitations, like you may be unable to fully turn “off” your aquatic life fixture- they may have a minimum brightness.

Re: WaveEngine, assuming you can set a schedule you like, yeah, it’s the same. I don’t know if you can set a long schedule like that.

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 0-10v is the same but a controller ment to drive a pump for wave purposes may not be able to control your lights on a long ramp that last for hours instead of minutes. The controller I have uses different functions for lighting and wave pumps. The same output can be used for either you just have to select the right function. I am not sure the WaveEngine will do that. Coralvue is coming out with the Control 4 and Control 2. Those will probably do what you want. I know the Control 4 will have 0-10v inputs and outputs. Not sure on Control 2.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep. In theory if you run a lot of devices off a single 1-10 volt supply eventually you will run out of drivable current, but that takes a lot.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep. In theory if you run a lot of devices off a single 1-10 volt supply eventually you will run out of drivable current, but that takes a lot.

Not really. It’s not a driving current at all; it’s just a few mah for signaling. You don’t “run” any device off of the signal voltage.

The device using 0-10v imput has another power source- it’s just using 0-10v to determine what output.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 0-10v is the same but a controller ment to drive a pump for wave purposes may not be able to control your lights on a long ramp that last for hours instead of minutes. The controller I have uses different functions for lighting and wave pumps. The same output can be used for either you just have to select the right function. I am not sure the WaveEngine will do that. Coralvue is coming out with the Control 4 and Control 2. Those will probably do what you want. I know the Control 4 will have 0-10v inputs and outputs. Not sure on Control 2.

This is a temporary solution until the Control4 is released. Thanks!

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not really. It’s not a driving current at all; it’s just a few mah for signaling. You don’t “run” any device off of the signal voltage.

The device using 0-10v imput has another power source- it’s just using 0-10v to determine what output.
Actually what blasterman posted is correct. Even though the device you are controlling has it's own power supply the 0-10v signal still has a limited current that it can produce. It will however take a whole lot of devices on the same control signal to make it not work. Enough that for our usages it is almost unlimited.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually what blasterman posted is correct. Even though the device you are controlling has it's own power supply the 0-10v signal still has a limited current that it can produce. It will however take a whole lot of devices on the same control signal to make it not work. Enough that for our usages it is almost unlimited.

True, I initially thought when he meant "run a lot of devices" he meant power them. A few mah used per device does add up eventually given the low output of the 0-10v port, it just doesn't really occur in our practical use of a few devices for an aquarium.

Ive seen like 10 kessil fixtures daisy chained with no issue.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back