Connecting a Hydros controller to a dimmable ballast

Orsini26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I am in the planning stages of a new tank build and I am going to implement a LED t5 hybrid lighting. I am considering using dimmable t5s connected to a 0 - 10 v on a hydros controller. Alternatively I could just use regular t5 with my LEDS and "ramp them up" by turning on one bulb at a time throughout the day. The tank is going to be 125 gallon mixed reef (mostly LPS with some SPS at the top) at 72 in long with 3 AI prime reef HD lights paired with the t5s. For the dimmable option, I was planning on 4 x 36 in LET dimmable bulbs since they don't have a dimmable 72 in option. This would allow for 4 controlled bulbs running the length of the aquarium:

For the regular t5 option, I could use the same combination of 36 in lights to create 4 t5 bulbs at 72 in. I could also try and get away with the 60 in option but looking for opinions on that:

The main questions I have:
1. Dimmable vs. non dimmable t5: which do you think is the better option here?
2. I know you can connect the dimmable t5s to the hydros controller, but does anyone know how to actually so this? I found online on the site saying that you need to use a 0 to 10 v quad cable (https://www.coralvuehydros.com/product-support/hydros-control/add-light-0-10v/). I am a novice at electronics and connecting these so any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Orsini

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quad cable separates out each of the 4 0-10v channels into a 3.5mm plug like what is used on most of the newer headphones. The cable can be used on either the 0-10v inputs or outputs. The 0-10v input connector and 0-10v output connector have the same pinout. The only difference is one is inputs and the other is outputs. For 0-10v ports you would need the X4 or a Wave Engine v2 with one of the other controllers. The Wave Engine is mainly for pump control but if it is in a collective with other controllers the outputs can be used for things like lighting also since all inputs and outputs are shared with the collective and it does not matter which controller has the ports.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back