Is Ammonia Toxic to Corals?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the species as well as if it is ammonia vs ammonium, as well as temperature. I can send you the scholarly literature I know of regarding this topic if you are interested.

So in other words is incorrect, and correct. It is not that simple

The question is a bit difficult to answer given that you are asking about 6,000 different species

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here a thread where thirty pro reefs add ammonia for cycling, into their sps tanks:

*fully agreed above, that dose is simply within the shock absorber system limits all reefs have

outside that limits, toxicity bigtime, cells burn. what they show above is adding some isn't toxic, there was a time I thought that above could not be done. Blasterman told it to me first in about 2008 or thereabouts good call on trending man.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also agreed context for the question matters, because I'm interested to know if someone's tester shows free ammonia for the fifteen thousandth time and whether or not that tester brand name starts w the first letter of the alphabet. if there isn't a free ammonia in a reef concern as the basis, ammonia is constantly produced and dealt with and our systems have room to instantly take on orders more but not toxic levels more.

*what is toxic also ranges, I was able to see a test done recently where a lucky astrea snail selected by me did not die when subject to half a bottle of dr tims into five gallons of saltwater for two days, no filtration. that bullet proof rascal ruined three of my nine good theories.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another answer; I would not dip my corals in it to remove pests although it would work.

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this thread has sort of died, I'll ask my related question. I just accidentally spilled some reef roids into the tank. So, that means I put in about a double dose. I don't have any fish, just softies. Should I not worry too much because if the bacterial filter can't take care of it all, the corals would likely be fine? I know this doesn't apply to every coral or huge amounts of ammonia, but I really just care about my situation.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that wont crash your tank its a longer term algae issue.

it sure might make a color tube test kit for ammonia misread though, by boosting levels a little then the tester says alarm, alarm.

my guess is based on lack of links avail to show a reef crashing from overfeed, plus you're at home to intervene. the tell will be cloudy water.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this thread has sort of died, I'll ask my related question. I just accidentally spilled some reef roids into the tank. So, that means I put in about a double dose. I don't have any fish, just softies. Should I not worry too much because if the bacterial filter can't take care of it all, the corals would likely be fine? I know this doesn't apply to every coral or huge amounts of ammonia, but I really just care about my situation.

Correct, do not worry.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard from Jake Adams that ammonia is not toxic to corals. Is this true?

Just commenting on this earlier question, it is like many chemicals. Some is good, just enough is perfect, and too much is toxic. That applies to many major, minor, and trace elements, and organics.

Upvote 1
Solution

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back