Is anyone able to ID this?

danielaqui

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2025
Messages
11
Reaction score
5
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s easier to see under blue than white lights. It looks like clear/whitish hairs or mucus that appeared exclusively on the underside of my hardscape. It seemed to pop up in a few locations very quickly but hasn’t spread much at all since it first appeared. Any help is appreciated.
View attachment 20260318_205357_646C39D8-EB21-44AA-BD7A-E3A7B8E656D3.mov
 
Last edited:
It’s easier to see under blue than white lights. It looks like clear/whitish hairs or mucus that appeared exclusively on the underside of my hardscape. It seemed to pop up in a few locations very quickly but hasn’t spread much at all since it first appeared. Any help is appreciated.
Are you carbon dosing?
 
It’s easier to see under blue than white lights. It looks like clear/whitish hairs or mucus that appeared exclusively on the underside of my hardscape. It seemed to pop up in a few locations very quickly but hasn’t spread much at all since it first appeared. Any help is appreciated.
Are you carbon dosing?
No, I’ve never done it before. Is it something I should look into here?
 
No, I’ve never done it before. Is it something I should look into here?
No. Sometimes you get bacterial growth dosing carbon.
Are you dosing anything like Microbactor7 or other bacterial in a bottle products?
 
No, I’ve never done it before. Is it something I should look into here?
No. Sometimes you get bacterial growth dosing carbon.
Are you dosing anything like Microbactor7 or other bacterial in a bottle products?
Nope, Fritz and arag-alive to start around a year ago for this tank and no bacteria since. The tank has a really healthy micro fauna population and never much nuisance algae to deal with other than a little in the sump but just manually remove that along with my chaeto. I do a 20 percent water change weekly like clockwork and am running around 8ppm nitrate and 0.09 phosphate. Whatever this is that’s growing doesn’t seem to be hurting any chemistry so I haven’t been too worried about it but just thought I would post to see if anyone thought it looked like a problem
 
Looks like a healthy tank. 🙂
It's just odd to me that it's growing in a shaded area.
Hopefully someone can provide a better ID.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new