IS apple cider vinegar reef safe?

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what salt mix are you using and have you tested fresh mixed salt water to make sure you didn't just get a stratified batch?

I feel that there is other things at play and determining why is always better than just chasing a number without figuring out why it needs change in the first place. With that said I have not used it in my reef but apple cider vinegar is probably safe but has more stuff in it than distilled white vinegar. This would mean your adding more than just what would feed bacteria and lower ALK. If you must I would go white distilled vinegar. With that said I drink apple cider vinegar every morning and am doing fine. lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what salt mix are you using and have you tested fresh mixed salt water to make sure you didn't just get a stratified batch?

I feel that there is other things at play and determining why is always better than just chasing a number without figuring out why it needs change in the first place. With that said I have not used it in my reef but apple cider vinegar is probably safe but has more stuff in it than distilled white vinegar. This would mean your adding more than just what would feed bacteria and lower ALK. If you must I would go white distilled vinegar. With that said I drink apple cider vinegar every morning and am doing fine. lol.
i use IO. Ok, ill use distilled white m=vinegar

Upvote 0

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do anything, other than your normal water changes.
Alk of 10 is not too high.
Just let it come down naturally with your regular water changes.
I typically run my mixed reef tanks at 11.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do anything, other than your normal water changes.
Alk of 10 is not too high.
Just let it come down naturally with your regular water changes.
I typically run my mixed reef tanks at 11.
ik 10 is not too high. I just want to have it lower, if you know what i mean

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO purple usually mixes around 9-10 dkh.

Please do not dose vinegar to the tank. It will cause a bacterial bloom which may harm your fish from lack of oxygen and ammonia poisoning.

If you want to keep a lower alkalinity, you can use muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate in your new water before you do a water change. If you go this route, you will need to aerate heavily for 24 hours to bring the PH back up before you add the water to the tank.

If you are only keeping softies and LPS, an alk of 10dkh is very good. They will thrive in this and alk will not be the reason you don’t succeed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO purple usually mixes around 9-10 dkh.

Please do not dose vinegar to the tank. It will cause a bacterial bloom which may harm your fish from lack of oxygen and ammonia poisoning.

If you want to keep a lower alkalinity, you can use muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate in your new water before you do a water change. If you go this route, you will need to aerate heavily for 24 hours to bring the PH back up before you add the water to the tank.

If you are only keeping softies and LPS, an alk of 10dkh is very good. They will thrive in this and alk will not be the reason you don’t succeed.
Im only planning to keep softies, maybe LPS. Can this light grow LPS?

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im only planning to keep softies, maybe LPS. Can this light grow LPS?
I don’t know much about different lighting types.

Based on the reviews, I will say it appears they grow coral well.

The cons are that the bulbs don’t appear to last long and may break unexpectedly.

If you decide to go with these lights, I would recommend getting a few backups in case one decides to unexpectedly stop.

I would wait for better experienced people with lighting to answer this question though. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about different lighting types.

Based on the reviews, I will say it appears they grow coral well.

The cons are that the bulbs don’t appear to last long and may break unexpectedly.

If you decide to go with these lights, I would recommend getting a few backups in case one decides to unexpectedly stop.

I would wait for better experienced people with lighting to answer this question though. :)
others have said it will grow softies, but werent sure about LPS

Upvote 0
Back