Is Brooklynella killing my Clownfishes?

smilesmile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made the jump to saltwater three months ago through a 10G marine tank that now has some beginner soft corals and a few turbo snails for CUC. Before I added the corals, however, I had a pair of clownfish I obtained from my local LFS and acclimated them using drip that turned out to be wild-caught broke out into what I initially diagnosed as ich.

I quickly took them out of the DT into a hastily setup 10G QT where I dosed them with Cupramine at half the therapeutic levels only to die a day later.

The QT was sterilized with bleach, filled with dechlorinated water, then dried before filling it all up with saltwater again for two new clownfishes from a LFS selling captive-bred fish. They, too, broke out with the same disease that after research I concluded was Brooklynella.

As an emergency measure, I dosed the QT with acriflavine since I did not have Formalin in hand nor CP which I was going to obtain from my friend at 98.5% purity. Today, one of the clowns died after seemingly swimming around in the surface while the other has grown pale to the point of being translucent.

I no longer no what to do to prevent the other clown from dying. I will appreciate any assistance.

Thank you.

20170814_211539-jpg.584593

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your first pair of clowns died, and you disinfected your qt did the new pair of clowns go into that cleaned qt or right into the display tank?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back