Is buying used Kessils a bad idea?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found two sellers selling used Kessil a360x online for about $100 cheaper than new retail. They both claim to have only used them for 6 months. I first thought this was great since Kessil says their lights are meant to last 5-7 years but I see horror stories online about the lights crapping out within two years. Are these survivorship bias or should I avoid used kessils?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found two sellers selling used Kessil a360x online for about $100 cheaper than new retail. They both claim to have only used them for 6 months. I first thought this was great since Kessil says their lights are meant to last 5-7 years but I see horror stories online about the lights crapping out within two years. Are these survivorship bias or should I avoid used kessils?
It's always a gamble buying used, but I have had my four a360x lights for over two years, running at 60% intensity, with no issues. I like the assurance of a warranty myself though, by buying new.
IMG_20230707_202003.jpg

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

$100 is not enough of a discount to justify the risk, IMHO....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive purchased used Kessils twice with no issues but first one lost some of the diodes. I reached out to ask about repair cost and to my shock, they sent me a new one- Teir customer support is outstanding

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased quite a few a350we and a360 we and I have had issues with most of them. From going dead within a few months, to burned out fans, to leds dropping out. I won’t buy another used kessil. You cannoften find new discounted on ebay.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased quite a few a350we and a360 we and I have had issues with most of them. From going dead within a few months, to burned out fans, to leds dropping out. I won’t buy another used kessil. You cannoften find new discounted on ebay.
100%

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that work with the new ones being discounted on eBay?

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the price for new with the WiFi dingle ajd the mourning arm… seems like I should just pony up another $100-200 and get a pair of XR15s for my tank. Maybe this will be the move

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my kessils used. never had an issue. i blow them out every few weeks and theyve been as good as new

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with above, $100 discount not worth it.
But I would lowball the guy. People don't negotiate anymore, but why not? Even at the LFS, ask for discount, you will be amazed, not everytime, but sometimes.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO do not. I can attest to the fact that at least the A360WE's only last about two years (and then all 5 of mine went out very quickly one after the other). Theres is a quick fix of shocking the board with a 12v power supply but while they work often some of the LED's are out and no guarantee how long they will continue to work. It's been speculated that they have bad capacitors. I'm glad some have gotten some support from Kessel because when mine went out it was nonexistent with only one person in US as "support" who never answered or returned phone calls or emails. I revived two of mine to temporarily light a 32g but they are getting replaced soon with a Radion XR15. Save your money and spend once, cry once.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back