Is Chemi-Clean an effective long term solution?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extreme measures are needed to remove the beneficial bacteria. The amount in the sand is minimal anyway.
Good to know
A large clean up crew is a much easier and safer way. Chemi clean could be a long term solution, but i've never found a need for it. Not 4 snails, I loaded even my 30g with nearly 60 snails at one point.
i have 8 Astrea and 5 Trochus is that enough

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know

i have 8 Astrea and 5 Trochus is that enough
I believe diversity is good when using inverts to keep algae at bay, I've used reefcleaners for many years, while I scroll the "cleaner" section picking out ones I believe are cool and beneficial, their cleaner packages are a great place to start. They have cleaners packages per gallon - since you already have a few I'd go with a few gallons smaller than your tank.
Nassarius as well as the dwarf ceriths would be a good add, the dwarf ceriths are very small and can often only be seen when the lights are ramping down.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe diversity is good when using inverts to keep algae at bay, I've used reefcleaners for many years, while I scroll the "cleaner" section picking out ones I believe are cool and beneficial, their cleaner packages are a great place to start. They have cleaners packages per gallon - since you already have a few I'd go with a few gallons smaller than your tank.
Nassarius as well as the dwarf ceriths would be a good add, the dwarf ceriths are very small and can often only be seen when the lights are ramping down.
I tried to do an order with them before but their minimum size of an order was too high and I didn’t need that many inverts from them. I just get my cuc from my LFS. Been keeping a lookout for nassarius snails though

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to do an order with them before but their minimum size of an order was too high and I didn’t need that many inverts from them. I just get my cuc from my LFS. Been keeping a lookout for nassarius snails though
So here is your play....as @Dolphins18 alluded to, diversity....how large or small is this tank? If its 30 gal or so, purchase a good urchin, and a sand sifting Conch, Stawberry or Fighting, they aren't overly expensive, ask them if they will take either back once they eliminate your problem, even for free. 30 bucks will save you hundreds and massive headaches later. Think about it...

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is your play....as @Dolphins18 alluded to, diversity....how large or small is this tank? If its 30 gal or so, purchase a good urchin, and a sand sifting Conch, Stawberry or Fighting, they aren't overly expensive, ask them if they will take either back once they eliminate your problem, even for free. 30 bucks will save you hundreds and massive headaches later. Think about it...
Sounds like a plan. It’s a 32 Biocube which is enough sq ft for a fighting conch and I’ll look into urchins. Haven’t done a lot of research on them but I know they are very good cuc members. I was considering getting a watchman goby. Would the fighting conch do a better job? Only reason why I want a goby is to sift sand.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. It’s a 32 Biocube which is enough sq ft for a fighting conch and I’ll look into urchins. Haven’t done a lot of research on them but I know they are very good cuc members. I was considering getting a watchman goby. Would the fighting conch do a better job? Only reason why I want a goby is to sift sand.
Not sure which would be better as I have never had gobies. Fighting Conch is a good workhorse though imo....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back