Is container safe for auto topoff?

steallife904

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2015
Messages
471
Reaction score
216
Location
Jacksonville, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a new ATO and have a brand new container that fits the space I need it to go in. Looking at numbers on the bottom I think it’s ok but would feel better with confirmation if anyone could help me out. Here is a picture of bottom of container.
Thank you,
IMG_4503.jpeg
IMG_4503.jpeg
 
The recycling symbol with the 5 in it indicates that the plastic is polypropylene but the indicators here don’t tell us whether it’s pure or has additives. As long as it was sold as a “food safe” container it should be fine
 
The #5 on the bottom means it’s “generally safe for food” and is low risk of chemical migration, safe for holding and heating up food.
I think if it smells clean I don’t see a problem using it as an ATO container. 0 TDS water does have a way of sucking in chemicals in but I would use that. You could just leave some RO water in for a couple days and discard it just to be a little safer. Obviously you’re safer with a specific ATO container but I would use it.
 
I’m pretty sure I bought this months ago from Lowe’s and don’t think I got it from anything specifically saying food safe. I am putting this I a cabinet next to tank with dimensions I need something to fit. This fit the bill is reason for trying to use.

I will fill with water as u said and discard after a few days.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new