Is Crab dead/molted/molting?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Schulks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Schulks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 2, 2022
Messages
1,061
Reaction score
631
Location
Over yonder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pitho crab is upside down not moving and looking like a dead spider.

If a crab is not moving and not responding to any touch does that mean it is either a molt or dead? It is only a 20 gallon so I want to take him out before he rots too much and I don't see another crab anywhere.
 
Welcome back to America's favorite gameshow SHED OR DEAD! (Sorry, from another thread)

Anyway. . .

If it's hollow it's a shed, if there is crab meat inside it's dead.

Can also try the smell test.

All that said, shed or dead, no harm in removing it so that's what I would do.
 
@MoshJosh I read that thread lol

Would a crab ever be completely unresponsive to touch?

For the smell test there was absolutely no smell.

Here are some pics. Should I turn him around to get his other side?

Note: I had to toss him back into display (from my refugium) where I had moved him for the pictures. No hermits or zombie snails were bothering him when I found him like this.

Edit: never mind.. the snails are actually interested..

20231030_211144[1].jpg 20231030_211718_-_Copy[1].jpg 20231030_211814[1].jpg
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new