Is it Cyao?

WrasseMan89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have cyano but I wanted to see if I could get a confirmation. At first I thought it was diatoms (2 mo old tank) but some spots are stringy and have a couple bubbles attached at the tip. I got a microscope off amazon but it want much help. I do have a conch who seems to be enjoying himself on the sandbed and since it's not a massive outbreak he seems to be doing fine with it. It is constant throughout night hours. Phosphate is 0 which I assume is because the algea is taking it all up, I had to order more nitrate stuff for my checker off amazon (didn't realize I was out), ph is 8, salinity is 1.025.
1000007772.jpg

1000007756.jpg

1000007757.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have cyano but I wanted to see if I could get a confirmation. At first I thought it was diatoms (2 mo old tank) but some spots are stringy and have a couple bubbles attached at the tip. I got a microscope off amazon but it want much help. I do have a conch who seems to be enjoying himself on the sandbed and since it's not a massive outbreak he seems to be doing fine with it. It is constant throughout night hours. Phosphate is 0 which I assume is because the algea is taking it all up, I had to order more nitrate stuff for my checker off amazon (didn't realize I was out), ph is 8, salinity is 1.025.
1000007772.jpg

1000007756.jpg

1000007757.jpg
While the microscope photo is not clear, the color and the existence of individual cells point to diatoms or dinoflagellates.

OP
OP
W

WrasseMan89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the microscope photo is not clear, the color and the existence of individual cells point to diatoms or dinoflagellates.
Do diatoms become stringy and mucus like? It might be dinos, gonna be fun combating that one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back