Is it even worth getting this skimmer wet?

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just in the middle of typing that dial it down a bit.
You want bubbles falling back down the neck on themselves only when they get dirty/gunky they will push up over into the cup, you'll get it.
Yea @Hemmdog cup was Dark!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want bubbles falling back down the neck on themselves only when they get dirty/gunky they will push up over into the cup, you'll get it.
Black hole level of dark ;Droid

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I dialed it back today, will see how it looks tomorrow. I initially dialed it down and then didn't get any skim mate in 12 hours, so I turned it up too much. Now I'm working my way back down lol. It'll be dialed in perfectly right before the move and then I'm sure it's going to move slightly during the move and I'll start all over haha. Just happy that I can easily wet skim. Too wet but still. Can only get better from here.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 24 hours. Still a little light so not sure what to think. Going to leave it be and see what happens tomorrow.

I'm draining via the drain hose so wonder how long I can do that before it affects anything lol.

20190228_183705.jpg

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have a heavy bioload yet it shouldn't get black or really dark for a while yet.
Looks good, more concentrated less watery.

Perfect. I'll report back with an update in a day or two. The plan on moving has shifted a day over for the tank. So moving Sunday and moving the tank Monday now. I left some room in the schedule so we should be good. I don't go back to work until Wednesday so should have plenty of cushion still.

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. I'll report back with an update in a day or two. The plan on moving has shifted a day over for the tank. So moving Sunday and moving the tank Monday now. I left some room in the schedule so we should be good. I don't go back to work until Wedsday so should have plenty of cushion still.
Nicee

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to turn the skimmer down a bit as I was filling the cup in about a day. Since I now have an ATO the water level in the skimmer section does not fluctuate at all. I have the sensor in the return section and I let that fluctuate about half an inch roughly. The start and stop point of the ATO can be set to as low as .2 inches I believe.

I've been turning down the skimmer just a hair ebery day or so. Literally the smallest amount I can turn it.

This is a little over 24 hours. Not sure if I should be concerned that there is some brown in the neck lol.

I'll probably clean the neck and cup the next time I empty the cup.

20190319_192214.jpg 20190319_192315.jpg 20190319_192132.jpg

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was worried I cleaned it a little too much. I use a toothbrush and there doesn't seem to be a compromise. It's either leave it all clumpy or get rid of the clumps then it makes it totally clean.

I would say this thing is still dialed in! Probably could turn it down just a hair more.

20190321_195858.jpg

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to just post an update that everything worked out. @Reef of Fillory went above and beyond on this one. UPS came back and said the claim needed go be resubmitted by the shipper because of some policy where it couldn't be submitted by the receiving party for corporate to process it or something along those lines. I may be a little hazy on the details. He resubmitted and the claim has been paid out. I had to beg him to keep half as I felt I got what I payed for and did not feel right taking back the whole amount, especially for all the hassle he went through.

Anyway, all good now. Skimmer is actually filling the cup about once a week. Everything is going as smooth as butter. Thanks again everyone!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%

Back