Is it ever safe to “cheap out” on anything?

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only thing I MIGHT go inexpensive would be in-tank powerheads. Never on return pumps. I look at this as if something used may fail and the ramifications thereof.
I bought a couple of cheaper powerherheads on Amazon for my freshwater tank once. Whatever chemicals were in them almost killed the fish. Fortunately I was able to do big water changes and save them. Never again!

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that came to me is Calcium Reactors. I went home made, I went cheap, I went budget, then I went where I should have 20 years ago. If you want to run a calcium reactor. Save your money until you can afford the Kamoer Pump and the Carbon doser. Then Ca Mag & Alk becomes easier than an auto feeder or a simple lamp timer.
A CaRx is that simple with the right equipment.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Cheap" and "value" are two different things. Do your research; "value" is fine "cheap" is often not.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pure sodium phosphate food grade is cheaper than the bright well phosphate version with no purity grade. I think this is one of the rare examples where “cheap” is better than the expensive option.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reiterating on chemicals, diy additives of nearly every sort are less expensive, are of known composition (unlike many hobby brand chemicals), and can carry a purity assurance that hobby chemicals usually lack.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I “Cheaped out,” on my Return Pumps, by going with Simplicity Return Pumps. Have Three 1600, and Two 1000, not a bit of problem with them. Also my Jebao Sine Wave Pumps. Did research on them first and talked to other local hobbyist.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is cheap per say... There are less expensive short cuts. But what gives me diaper rash is "electricity" pure and simple.. Old school, Halides, 4 x 72 inch VHO T-12's, and a Iwaki 100rw main pump, plus ect. ect, ect... $$$ I am here in Montana a lot better off then most else where.. ya right :(

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it is. I make my own homemade soda ash for alkalinity dosing. Way cheaper than other alkalinity additives. I use knock off filter floss pads too. Lots of ways to save money in this hobby, but I wouldn't say it's ever an inexpensive hobby.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pay once. Cry once. Going cheap has never ended well for me regardless what it is within reason. Get the best price which provides everything needed with the least potential issues later on. Why I have less of everything.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who started their first reef tank as an 8th grader, I have learned a couple things that help me save money.

1. Quality over quantity. If you are eyeballing that 120 but wondering how you can afford it you should probably consider a 60 cube. People are generally happier with an awesome 30-gallon nano than with a 6ft 180 that is having constant issues.
  2. Get good basics and ignore the bells and whistles. Get a good reliable AC return pump, good AC powerheads, a good reliable skimmer, and a good light with real support and a warranty, before you purchase a controller, UV, Auto Feeder, Rollerfilter, Calcium Reactor, Ozone Generator, Media Reactors, etc.
  3. Paint with the color pallet you have. Have you ever considered if that achlies tang is really more beautiful than the powder blue. Are bounce mushrooms really more attractive than Florida Ricordeas? I would put the classic SPS like red monti caps, pink birds nest, green slimers, and bonsai acroporas against any of the new trends. I see frags of some of these in the $25 section at my LFS. You do not need to buy the fancy trendy corals there are plenty of common corals and fish that are absolutely beautiful.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always buy the cheapest vinegar to clean the tank parts with at the grocery store:)!
I use to use vinegar, but I switched to Muriatic acid when I read RHF's concern about the molecular structure of vinegar being a possible source of damage to impeller magnets. Others use acetic acid for descaling because it is "safer" than vinegar.

My wife doesn't have to buy vinegar as much these days, so that was a win/win at home. :thinking-face: :cool:

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 60B with no sump, no skimmer, not filtration other than the LR, growing Acros. I test manually. I feel like you can definitely safe to run a tank without a high end controller, auto-test etc. I just wouldn't cheap out on rock, lights or flow.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back