Is it HLLE on my Sailfin tang?

zielit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had him for quite a while (6 months at least) and I consider my 1.5 yo tank rather healthy. I have a minor dino problem for most of the time and recently 3 weeks ago I have shortened lights on time (longer nights). First I thought that the marks around the eyes might have been cased by him hiding in the rock for too long. Only other change was my vacation time, where all fish were fed by automatic feeder for 6 days (pellets only diet for a week).

Should I worry (is it deadly) ??? or just get him on better diet for now? or is that some kind of parasite?
20210826_103647.jpg
20210826_103708.jpg
20210826_103859.jpg

Edit: I have stopped using carbon activated pad in my filter like 3 months ago so I doubt that would be a root cause.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had him for quite a while (6 months at least) and I consider my 1.5 yo tank rather healthy. I have a minor dino problem for most of the time and recently 3 weeks ago I have shortened lights on time (longer nights). First I thought that the marks around the eyes might have been cased by him hiding in the rock for too long. Only other change was my vacation time, where all fish were fed by automatic feeder for 6 days (pellets only diet for a week).

Should I worry (is it deadly) ??? or just get him on better diet for now? or is that some kind of parasite?
20210826_103647.jpg
20210826_103708.jpg
20210826_103859.jpg

Edit: I have stopped using carbon activated pad in my filter like 3 months ago so I doubt that would be a root cause.

Yes - that is clearly a classic case of HLLE. It will not be reversible at this point, but the fish can live for years (often a normal life span) with this condition. If you remove carbon on the tank, it may stabilize at this level.

Here is a link to my article on HLLE:

Jay

OP
OP
zielit

zielit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that is clearly a classic case of HLLE. It will not be reversible at this point, but the fish can live for years (often a normal life span) with this condition. If you remove carbon on the tank, it may stabilize at this level.

Here is a link to my article on HLLE:

Jay
Thanks Jay,

Yes I have read your article already, tons of good info there. As I mentioned I doubt it was carbon. Fish was expose to it maybe for a first month or 2. I removed that carbon pad from the filter 3-4 month ago and that conditioned developed in recent 2-3 weeks.

Could be a diet though... Good news it's not a parasite.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay,

Yes I have read your article already, tons of good info there. As I mentioned I doubt it was carbon. Fish was expose to it maybe for a first month or 2. I removed that carbon pad from the filter 3-4 month ago and that conditioned developed in recent 2-3 weeks.

Could be a diet though... Good news it's not a parasite.
Remember - it doesn't take much carbon to cause this in sailfin tangs. While a REALLY poor diet may make the issue worse, it has never been proven that enhancing the diet in anyway improves the issue.

Jay

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back