Is it Ich, something else, or nothing to worry about?

Kali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize without pictures this may be an impossible task.... I'm also piecing together dates pulled from some really awful record keeping on my part. (Starting today that's my resolution, better tank record keeping!)

Last fall I had a B/W clown (added 2/2012), a mocha clown(added ?? 2013?) and two gobies (E. oceanops) (added early 2014). The B/W clown had become aggressive to the point of hunting a scooter blenny throughout the rocks and ultimately driving it out of the tank. I can't remember when (didn't write it down!) a white speck appear on the B/W clown for the first time, but I believe it was late 2014. The Blenny Incident of 2014 forced the B/W clown into a separate tank while I figured out what to do with it. While in this tank for 2+ weeks I didn't see another spot on it. During its "time out" another reefer said they wanted it, and it was rehomed. FWIW, I did recommend they QT it because something was going on w/my tank.

The fish I had in my tank at the end of 2014 were a mocha clown, & 2 gobies. Over the past 9 months or so I've noticed what appears to be a white skin tag on the left side of the mocha clown. Its 2-3 times longer then it is wide, and its only 1mm or less wide...ie, its TINY but definitely white. It appears every 10-14 days, maybe longer, hangs around for a few days and then disappears. I notice it mostly because the gobies become VERY interested in the clown and try and climb all over while homing in on this speck.

Over the past 9-10 months I may have seen 2 specks at the same time, but its usually only one. It's only on the clown, and almost always in the same spot on the same side of that fish. I haven't noticed any scratching, rubbing, weird twitching or shimmying from any fish. I've also not seen any spots on the gobies.

Last week I broke the tank down (Upgrade, err sideways grade) and was able to pull all the fish out, and they are now in day 3 of TTM because I thought this might be ich, and this is my only shot at removing those *&^% gobies!

After that word wall, what do you speculate is on this fish? Would you add prazipro on Day 4 & Day 15? Something else? Nothing?

I had originally planned on Day 13 to move them to a small 10 gallon and keep them there for 72 days. BUT, if I'm not willing to do that with any incoming corals or inverts, would the 72 days fallow for the DT be a total waste?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like ich; although with clownfish and their thick mucous coats you have to be careful making this assumption. A grain or two of sand can easily get stuck on them and look like ich. However, since you've already gone thru the trouble of catching all your fish and beginning TTM, I would stay the course. Dose Prazipro at the onset of “Day 4” and “Day 10” transfers; transfers 2 & 4 respectively. What you will end up with is ich & flukes free fish. ;)

While it is true you should QT all corals/inverts, the odds are much higher of bringing in a disease on a non-QT fish. And just because you don't QT corals/inverts doesn't mean there is nothing you can do to tip the odds slightly more in your favor. I would use a coral dip on all new corals before placing them in your DT, and also gently pour some DT water over all corals/inverts (and into a bucket) before placing them in your tank. This simple process will at least "wash away” any free swimmers that might happen to be in a droplet of water on the animal. Embedded tomonts are much harder to deal with, but I have seen people do things like scrub the coral plug with a toothbrush before placing in their DT. Whether or not this actually helps, I do not know. o_O

OP
OP
Kali

Kali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'll stay the course and dose them with Prazipro on those days.

I need a refresher course on coral dipping. Any suggestions on where to start?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'll stay the course and dose them with Prazipro on those days.

I need a refresher course on coral dipping. Any suggestions on where to start?

I use CoralRx. Just follow the directions on the bottle. Use your hand (wear gloves) to mix it up with some tank water in a container, dip for 10 minutes, then pour some plain tank water over the coral to get off any residue and place in your tank.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be lymphocystis. This is a stress related disease that is usually not fatal. It is simply the fish being ill due to some stress in the environment. Make sure they are getting good water, food and appropriate stimulation.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back