Is it important for me to get a good light

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you running? Thanks
I had one Visparspectra on a 20G for year. $150 bucks.
Grew everything.

Top pic:
Then another added another Viparspectra,plus two Aqueon Halos when upgraded to 65g for 2 years. Additional $300. $450 total. Grew everything.

Bottom pic:
Then added 3 T5 in current upgrade 180g.
1-Antinic 420nm.
1-Blue Plus 460nm.
1-Day light 10,000k.
Another $200 for 3 individual 48” Strips off Amazon. Tubes from LFS $100.

So, for $750 CDN, I light hybrid 180g.

If you like controllability, any of the major player brand names are a better bet, but, you’re talking about at least $300 per light and as high as $1200 per light in CDN.

Corals dont care much about controls, they rather have consistency than a ramp, or lighting storm, or clouds.

IMG_0085.jpeg IMG_2019.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what light size do I get?
What are the dimensions of the tank? I personally dont know the dimensions of a 10g long so I cant make a good suggestion at this time.

Expensive is relative. I dont think a $200 light is expensive, you may. I have an aI blade that I put on a 30g 21" that was less then $200 and its really nice, grew my corals well too. I now have a bigger tank with a Reefi at $500 it was quiet a bit of money but bang for the buck is much higher then some of the "comparable" $1000 lights. You dont need something like that. You could use it with the idea it would grow with you as tank size increased.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to get corals and possible anemones and I have a basic light that can be blue and have the lighting adjusted as well as a timer. Do i need a specific light for corals? I want them to be healthy and colorful but lighting is soo expensive.

Rarely is the light that comes with a system good enough to support corals and Anemones.

Granted, there are some corals that do well in low light, and you may get away with the current light.

But Anemones will struggle under an entry-level light.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the rich people showed up to derail the thread, again you don't need to spend a bunch of money to have a successful tank and you most certainly don't need an LED light of any kind. Keep it simple keep it cheap and enjoy yourself. You can do a ton of really cool stuff in a 10 gallon with some basic t5 lighting, I hope you find what your looking for in your price range.
dude abides GIF

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say for the beginning of your reef tank hobby with the easier soft corals and anemone you can get away with a cheap light for a short time. As you get more corals you will want to plan to get a better light. They are much higher quality, higher output, more durable, last longer, adjustable, and are worth it in the end. They are expensive, but you can find good deals on last gens or people getting out of the hobby on your local area.

I hear these Nicrew led lights are good. Cheap but not cheap. You can check out FishofHexs videos and other youtubers for their reviews. If I was a new reefer or setting up a new tank and know what I know. These are what I would start off with on my tank.

Screenshot_20240221_141248_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I run one of these on my 30x20x20 I built. Running the blues at 80% and whites at 10%. Only have to buy the separate $40 controller so you can have it ramp up/down. But well worth the money and is growing everything I have in the tank. Mainly SPS dominated.

morris90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one Visparspectra on a 20G for year. $150 bucks.
Grew everything.

Top pic:
Then another added another Viparspectra,plus two Aqueon Halos when upgraded to 65g for 2 years. Additional $300. $450 total. Grew everything.

Bottom pic:
Then added 3 T5 in current upgrade 180g.
1-Antinic 420nm.
1-Blue Plus 460nm.
1-Day light 10,000k.
Another $200 for 3 individual 48” Strips off Amazon. Tubes from LFS $100.

So, for $750 CDN, I light hybrid 180g.

If you like controllability, any of the major player brand names are a better bet, but, you’re talking about at least $300 per light and as high as $1200 per light in CDN.

Corals dont care much about controls, they rather have consistency than a ramp, or lighting storm, or clouds.

IMG_0085.jpeg IMG_2019.jpeg
Thank you, much appreciated

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most replies you will get, to questions like yours, will encourage you to overspend needlessly. Just be aware of this when evaluating. Too much light will also be a disaster.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one of these on my 30x20x20 I built. Running the blues at 80% and whites at 10%. Only have to buy the separate $40 controller so you can have it ramp up/down. But well worth the money and is growing everything I have in the tank. Mainly SPS dominated.
Those are excellent lights actually. More than most need.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back