Is it important for me to get a good light

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to get corals and possible anemones and I have a basic light that can be blue and have the lighting adjusted as well as a timer. Do i need a specific light for corals? I want them to be healthy and colorful but lighting is soo expensive.

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on size of tank and the kinds of corals you want to keep

If your tank isn't wide or deep you won't need a ton of amazing lights. What size tank do you have and what kind of corals other than anemones do you want to keep?

OP
OP
HaiFish

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on size of tank and the kinds of corals you want to keep

If your tank isn't wide or deep you won't need a ton of amazing lights. What size tank do you have and what kind of corals other than anemones do you want to keep?
I have a 10 gal long tank and From what I think so far, i want to keep
Corals: Zoanthids, toadstools, finger corals, duncans, hammers, xenia, green star polyps

Anemones, rock flower anemones, condy nems

but I am not sure. I have a really good fish place that can recommend some good ones.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say for the beginning of your reef tank hobby with the easier soft corals and anemone you can get away with a cheap light for a short time. As you get more corals you will want to plan to get a better light. They are much higher quality, higher output, more durable, last longer, adjustable, and are worth it in the end. They are expensive, but you can find good deals on last gens or people getting out of the hobby on your local area.

I hear these Nicrew led lights are good. Cheap but not cheap. You can check out FishofHexs videos and other youtubers for their reviews. If I was a new reefer or setting up a new tank and know what I know. These are what I would start off with on my tank.

Screenshot_20240221_141248_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals: Zoanthids, toadstools, finger corals, duncans, hammers, xenia, green star polyps

but I am not sure. I have a really good fish place that can recommend some good ones.

For a tank that size and soft corals you won't need much light - I'm sure your LFS can help you but no need for anything expensive

OP
OP
HaiFish

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say for the beginning of your reef tank hobby with the easier soft corals and anemone you can get away with a cheap light for a short time. As you get more corals you will want to plan to get a better light. They are much higher quality, higher output, mlre durable, last longer, and are worth it in the end. They are expensive, but you can find good deals on last gens or people getting out of the hobby on your local area.

I hear these Nicrew led lights are good. Cheap but not cheap. You can check out FishofHexs videos and other youtubers for their reviews. If I was a new reefer or setting up a new tank and know what I know. These are what i would start off with on my tank

Screenshot_20240221_141248_Amazon Shopping.jpg
It's crazy how expensive this hobby is.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'd recommend this

It's a lotta bang for the buck

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is expensive but a lot of people quit after only a year or two. You should check out the local resale market places like CraigsList, OfferUp, and eBay since there is often used stuff available. Also check out the marketplace here as well as on your local reef aquarium club.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy how expensive this hobby is.
Yes it is and can be. You will eventually get to a point where you don't spend as much money because you have everything you need lol. Also you can get to the point where you can trade or sell coral frags from your tank to help offset the price on things you may want to upgrade later down the road.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The good part about lighting is it contributes to the growth and health of your corals, but also the look of the whole display. So even though it might be one of the more expensive pieces of equipment you buy, it can instantly make your whole reef look and grow better.

I was growing coral under a Fluval stock light. I began to enjoy looking at that tank when I upgraded lights. The enjoyment of this hobby for me is looking at my tank and its progress. I like looking at it a lot more with a nicely balanced light.

Checkout a noopsyche k7 mini. Or k7 v3 pro if you think you might ever upgrade.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 lighting is excellent and very affordable. Many people who have successful reef tanks use exclusively T5. for a 10 gallon tank you don't need to throw hundreds of dollars at lighting to be successful.
either of these would work just fine for a 10 gallon softy/lps tank, I would recommend the two bulb over the single but they both will work.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/t5-ati-blue-plus.html
bulbs to get that sweet sweet blue florescent glow.

OP
OP
HaiFish

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 lighting is excellent and very affordable. Many people who have successful reef tanks use exclusively T5. for a 10 gallon tank you don't need to throw hundreds of dollars at lighting to be successful.
either of these would work just fine for a 10 gallon softy/lps tank, I would recommend the two bulb over the single but they both will work.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/t5-ati-blue-plus.html
bulbs to get that sweet sweet blue florescent glow.
what light size do I get?

MrWellington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy new. Check the marketplace here on R2R - good quality lights are always being offered.

Sal Amadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You need a bigger tank, try 55 long or 90 gal

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back