Is it just me or are the "tanked" tanks..

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched some episodes but never liked what they do. Too fast adding fish and no 'life'

Plastic corals and such. Not my idea of a SW tank

Glad to hear they are off the air as I feel they were deceiving the public with their 'quick install' plans

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I believe there's a whole thread dedicated to "tanked". I'll play, would I buy one of their tanks or try to recreate what they do, nope. Would i watch the show for entertainment as what I believe it was meant for, yes I would.
And the show was intended for entertainment- Not education as many felt deceived

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, yes, those inserts get covered in algae. Most of those Tanked tanks have aquarium maintenance companies that take care of those tanks, probably scrubbing those inserts constantly. You can also minimize the growth with dim lighting, since most of their tanks don't have live coral.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the link to the other thread. I believe there is another one but they linked them together

I liked seeing all the different fish but I wouldn't be sad if they never made another episode. I'd rather they bring back reruns of The Crocodile Hunter.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it might be more like staging a home for sale. "Here is what it will look like." For the TV show it wraps up the episode. Next time I get a bigger tank I might be inclined to get a few fake corals just so I have an idea of how plan and space out frags.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just odd, I see them throwing non-compatible fish together and I am surprised the tang police haven't been called already.. but they have to know better. I guess that is what is interesting to me about the show.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost interest in the show when I saw them make a freshwater ten gallon tv tank for a kid and put bala sharks in it. They are about the money and not about the hobby. It was cool at first but that left a bad taste. But that said, they are a business and unfortunately that's how these aquarium businesses stay afloat. If I had the money for a monster tank like that I would go with them or someone similar and insist they do it in a sustainable way. I am sure they would accommodate that but it wouldn't fit into a half hour show format.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just odd, I see them throwing non-compatible fish together and I am surprised the tang police haven't been called already.. but they have to know better. I guess that is what is interesting to me about the show.
The tang police have been called a million times on this show. If they know better it is even worse.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, yes, those inserts get covered in algae. Most of those Tanked tanks have aquarium maintenance companies that take care of those tanks, probably scrubbing those inserts constantly. You can also minimize the growth with dim lighting, since most of their tanks don't have live coral.
I believe you have to sign up for 2 years of their maintenance company coming in to do the work, every week. Plus it costs like $200/ visit

Source: have a friend that lives in Vegas who put on his best threads and enquired about having a tank installed. Went basic in the design- 100 gallon cylinder, light sticking, $20k, not including livestock. Plus- you have to get all livestock through their distributer abdvtgey had like s 500% markup on fish because they were ‘tank adapted’

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they have to know better?

They are an acrylic fab company that likes fish. They wouldn’t refer to the natural seawater as ‘cycled instant use’ water if they knew anything about husbandry

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost interest in the show when I saw them make a freshwater ten gallon tv tank for a kid and put bala sharks in it. They are about the money and not about the hobby. It was cool at first but that left a bad taste. But that said, they are a business and unfortunately that's how these aquarium businesses stay afloat. If I had the money for a monster tank like that I would go with them or someone similar and insist they do it in a sustainable way. I am sure they would accommodate that but it wouldn't fit into a half hour show format.
There are way better people to have build your tank, for less.

Man, I’d rather have someone like mark Callahan subcontract a local company to build everything and install it. At least then you get to have lunch with a dude who actually lives the hobby.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks that are built on Tanked are not for a hobbyist. What they do is geared towards businesses to have eye candy for their customers or celebrities that don't know better. During the install they have a maintenance company on site to take over as soon as they leave. Many of their tanks end with mass death of the fish. I would never imagine an informed hobbyist would ever want one of their products. Their is a market for it and they have financially done very well in it.

Jpimienta91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do it for “Show purposes”. Then take out most of the fish and replace those plastic corals. Only tank I liked was Tracy Morgan’s pool house shark tank. It does give them a bad image but they do QT there fish and treat them for diseases but barely air that you can only see it in some episodes.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's the occasional "Tanked Tank" on ebay too. Many celebs bail shortly after.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do it for “Show purposes”. Then take out most of the fish and replace those plastic corals. Only tank I liked was Tracy Morgan’s pool house shark tank. It does give them a bad image but they do QT there fish and treat them for diseases but barely air that you can only see it in some episodes.

I don't think this is true. I was tangentially involved with two installs and I pushed hard for them to do what the needed to do for TV and then take the animals away so we could make the systems usable. No would do. Fish come straight from the wholesalers.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back