Is it possible to have this in a reef tank?

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered this fish and im wondering why! Craziest looking fish ive ever seen and I want it!! Please lmk why nobody has these.

r0_160_6016_4010_w1200_h678_fmax (1).jpg

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very expensive, very hard to take care of properly. In my opinion it would require a species specific tank for proper care. It certainly can be done but requires commitment.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very expensive, very hard to take care of properly. In my opinion it would require a species specific tank for proper care. It certainly can be done but requires commitment.
Have you personally ever seen any in a tank or for sale? Seems extremely rare cant even find a price on them lol.

Josh@BVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in theory yes. they keep them in large aquariums on public display so it would stand to reason that you could do it home as well but you would probably need filtration above and beyond a normal reef tank setup for the average or even advanced reefer

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sea dragons are one of my favorite sea creatures. Majestic things! They have them in most state aquariums so it can’t be impossible but as stated it couldn’t go in the average reef tank. Correct me if I’m wrong but they are usually found in kelp forests with lower temps

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leafy variety supposedly is found in colder waters, to me the weedy one doesnt even look real.....not from this planet? I wish i could take care of one but just found a site sayin there 9-15k each.......

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes but extremely difficult to keep, kept fed and best not competing with others for food as they move very slow. seadragons need a very special type of environment, and require lots of care. These animals should only be kept by the most experienced aquarists.
seadragon is highly sensitive to environmental changes and you will need to have a daily maintenance routine to care for these animals and their tank.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you personally ever seen any in a tank or for sale? Seems extremely rare cant even find a price on them lol.
Yes, the Shed aquarium here in Chicago had a display for a while but again, they are an institution with serious resources.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back