Is it possible to protein skim too much?

Kylepoma12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just getting back into reefing, and I'm going to be setting up a 150 gal tank. But, in the next couple years I am going to upgrade to a tank around 300 gallons, so I want to purchase equipment that I can use on the 150, as well as on the larger tank I purchase down the line. I was thinking I would buy a protein skimmer appropriate for a 300 gallon tank, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be too powerful, or skim too well, for a 150 gallon tank. Any input is greatly appreciated!

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible but usually can be remedied. But technology advances so quickly, imo I would buy the skimmer best for your current system and then in a few years get a bigger and better one.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 29 gallon tank with a skimmer that's rated for a 75. I've seen no real issues other than the skimmate is not as dark as it should be. It seems to do best skimming wet rather than dry.

Zoafreak80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read about a multiple tank study where the were doing this exact experiment with skimmer usage and the tank with less skimmer usage faired the best. 4hrs per day only.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was researching upgrading the skimmer in my Red Sea S 650, I was going to do a similar thing and buy a bigger skimmer than I needed.

I found out that if the skimmer is to big for the system, it won’t work to it’s full potential as the water won’t rise up the skimmer neck properly.

I think as said above you can’t really overskimm because if there is nothing in the system it won’t produce any skimmate.

I’ve got the NYOS Quantum 160 which is rated up 1000 litres (so 264 USG) so not much short of your final target. I can highly recommend the NYOS.

If you get something like this or whatever you choose, it may be good for your current and eventual system.

Edit. Just noticed date of initial post!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back